cid:image002.jpg@01D3B7B7.9643CBC0

November 5th, 2020

Sept 14 – Nov 14     Virtual Interviewing

Nov 12  Glen Henshaw, Ph.D

Nov 16  Alliance Research Symposium

Nov 19  Fei Wen, Ph.D

Spring TERM: January 25 – April 30

NO SPRING BREAK

News
Registration Priority Dates:
11/4 - GR; 11/6 - SR; 11/9 – JR; 11/11 – SO; 11/13 – FR; Time tickets were sent today.

Join us for the BIOE
ALLIANCE RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM
November 19th from 9am to 12:15 pm

Academics

Undergraduate NEWS:

ATTENTION:

REGISTRATION

You can find your time ticket here. The time tickets were sent out to you by the registrar today. Attached is the Important  registration information sheet for Bioengineering Spring 2021.

CHEMISTRY in SPRING 2021: Right now there are no online chemistry labs offered for CHEM 213 and 214 in spring 2021. If you need general chemistry I or II for spring 2021 and can’t come to Mason you may want to consider a Study Elsewhere form and find an equivalent class in a college nearby your residence that offers the same classes online. You won’t be able to take the chemistry lecture without the lab at Mason.

ADVISING

NEW: Do you have concerns about classes or other issues at Mason? Please let us know. Your information will be handled confidentially. Please follow this link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdOHespJDuUIuwpBYSgatU-i2SCFACb8mL2BXeuzP3MyUqf-A/viewform?usp=sf_link

Appointments with your Bioengineering Academic Advisor and Success  Coach:
All scheduled advising appointments will be online. Use the appointment system SSC Campus -  https://gmu.campus.eab.com/, choose GET ASSISTANCE à Virtual and Bioengineering Major advising. Download Zoom from the ITS website for free: https://its.gmu.edu/service/zoom/Download the app to your desktop. Once you make an appointment with me in SSC Campus I will send you an invitation. You can also email me.

Walk in Hours for Registration questions: Friday November 6th from 2:00 -3:30pm Registration and class questions only, no program questions or 4year plans. Everybody in the wait room by 3:00pm will be seen.   https://gmu.zoom.us/j/6724250700?pwd=c1Zoa0NnMVh2T244aVc3ME11amFMZz09
STUDENT GUIDE 2020-2021: Find curriculum information, classes and more here.

2020 Graduates! - George Mason University will hold a virtual commencement ceremony for Spring, Summer, and Fall 2020 graduates on December 17.

To get information on graduation visit: https://www2.gmu.edu/celebration-graduates

Events:

ALLIANCE RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM
Nov. 16 | 9:00am – 12:15 pm | The Bioengineering Department at George Mason University is pleased to invite you to our 2020 Alliance Research Symposium on November 16 from 9am-12:15pm. We have 14 members of the Alliance and 2 guests from the FDA who will provide us an overview of their business explaining their research, development and manufacturing interests. The agenda is attached. The morning is organized into three themes each of which is followed by a panel discussion :

Theme 1: Imaging and Image Guided Surgery

Theme 2: Cellular and Molecular Therapeutics and Biomanufacturing

Theme 3: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Digital Health

We hope to see all BIOE students!

BENG and CASBBI SEMINARS
BENG Seminar:

Nov. 12 | 12 – 1:00 pm | Glen Henshaw, Ph.D, Naval Research Lab’s Senior Space Roboticist, Chief Roboticist, DARPA’s Robotic Servicing of Geosynchronous Satellites (RSGS) Program, Arlington, VA.
Zoom link:
https://gmu.zoom.us/j/92554249038?pwd=V2p1ZUdqM1Y2RnBCcWhDU0V0T2FZZz09,
Meeting ID: 925 5424 9038 Passcode: 640851
Title: Robotic Motor Learning and the Curse of Dimensionality

Nov. 19 | 12 – 1:00 pm | Fei Wen, Ph.D, Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering, Associate Chair for Undergraduate Education in Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
Zoom link:
https://gmu.zoom.us/j/92554249038?pwd=V2p1ZUdqM1Y2RnBCcWhDU0V0T2FZZz09,
Meeting ID: 925 5424 9038 Passcode: 640851
Title: Engineering Protein Assemblies for Immune Modulation

For more information on our fall 2020 seminar series and speakers please check attachment.
CASSBI Seminars: Look for upcoming events here.

BMES (Biomedical Engineering Society):

Local Chapter: President: Antarjot Kaur, Organization email: [log in to unmask], Instagram: bmes_gmu, Twitter: @BmesGmu and snapchat: @Bmes_Gmu
BMES General Body Meetings
Thursday, Nov. 12
| 5:30 pm |
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/78385320417?pwd=d0JROThpSG5EcGg5S3Y3ZDk0MGc3dz09

The Society of Women Engineers at Mason Presents: Patriot Cloud Computing Conference
Saturday, Nov. 7 | 10:00 am – 3:00 pm | George Mason University is having its first ever virtual Patriot Cloud Computing Conference. This is being organized by the Society of Women's Engineers George Mason Chapter and the Institute of Digital Innovation.
Registration Link: https://linktr.ee/patriotcloudconference. **Flyer & Schedule Attached**

Internships/Jobs/Opportunities

[Flyer] The Navel Research Enterprise Internship Program (NREIP) – Application Deadline: Nov. 30, 2020: https://nreip.asee.org

[Flyer] National Security Agency Summer Intern Program for Science and Technology (SIP/ST): Application Deadline: Oct. 31st, 2020, https://www.intelligencecareers.gov/icstudents.html?Agency=NSA

[Flyer] Engineering World Health Virtual Winter Institute:

Apply on our website: https://ewh.org/virtual-winter-institute.

-          Improve you engineering design skill

-          Join an international team of engineering students for 3 weeks

-          Learn about health challenges in low-resource settings

-          Design your solution to a global health issue

-          Dates: January 4, 2021 – January 22, 2021

-          Cost: $500/student, due ten days after acceptance

Quality Science Education Internship – Are you interested in paid internship and employment opportunities in the Life Science industries?
Deadline: December 21, 2020

Classes begin: January 11, 2021

New Pathway for Patient Health corporate members include Procter & Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, and AstraZeneca. They are quite interested in the QSE program, both for recruitment of QSE students and providing the QSE curriculum to their own employees.

 The enrollment link is on the QSE student webpage:  https://www.pathway4ph.org/qsestudents

BENG UG Research Opportunities: Follow this link bioengineering.gmu.edu or copy and paste this address: https://bioengineering.gmu.edu/why-study-here/student-research-opportunities/undergraduate , we are not adding any opportunities for this semester.

SPOTLIGHT:

Over the summer, our student, Natai Jinfessa, had an opportunity to intern with The Biomedical Engineering Alliance between Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Clinic. Here’s her thoughts:

“Over the summer, I interned with The Biomedical Engineering Alliance between Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Clinic. The ten-week virtual program was filled with conversations with professors, researchers, professional staff, entrepreneurs, and others on various topics related to biomedical engineering careers, research, and technology. I also had the opportunity to attend engineering design seminars discussing all facets of engineering design and its application. The mask-design project focusing on the response to the COVID-19 pandemic truly gave me a learning curve on the aspects of engineering design and the planning process of business models. Overall, this virtual opportunity was a wonderful experience during a time of inopportuneness and inconvenience.”

Did you have an internship last summer and would like to tell us about it? Is your senior design group on the brink of making a global impact or you would like to share your lab experience here in the newsletter? Please email a short summary, picture and a confirmation for information release: [log in to unmask].

Jobs

Job and Mason Tutoring Services

Peer Mentor Center VSE | For appointments: https://volgenau.gmu.edu/about/current-student-resources/find-tutor

Please see attachment for links and times or use learningservices.gmu.edu

University Career Services | University Career Services is now virtual. You can also schedule an appointment on Handshake. Our industry advisor is Ms. Dorothy Hayden.

Major/Career Exploration and Job/Internship Search Assistance:
Schedule a phone or video chat appointment through Handshake

Resume Reviews: Email your resume or cover letter for review, along with the position description of the job for which you're applying, to [log in to unmask]

Workshops and Employer Events: Check the calendar in Handshake for virtual career events

Top Three Digital Career Resources:

With your Mason Net ID and password you have complete access to premium digital platforms designed to augment your career readiness preparation. Here are the top three we recommend:

  • InterviewStream: the perfect tool for a practice interview
  • Vault: your go-to resource for employer and industry research
  • LinkedIn Learning: a seemingly endless stream of educational programs, including certifications

Scholarships

The Volgenau School of Engineering offers several scholarships for both graduate and undergraduate students.

https://volgenau.gmu.edu/admissions/financial-aid

Contact Us

General: 703-993-5846, [log in to unmask]

Website: http://bioengineering.gmu.edu/

Connect with us on Linkedin, Facebook and Twitter.
BMES twitter: @Bmes_Gmu

Claudia Borke

Academic Advisor

EMAIL: [log in to unmask]

PHONE: 703-993-4190,  Leave message 24/7 and I will return your call

STUDENTS: Please use your MasonLive e-mail. Include name and G number!

APPOINTMENTS: https://gmu.campus.eab.com/

Frequently Used Forms and Websites:

Declare concentration: http://registrar.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/UCDM.pdf (Fill out top and enter new concentration in “advisor use only” box)

Run Degree evaluation/audit: http://registrar.gmu.edu/students/degree-evaluation/degree-works/

How to check how other courses transfer to Mason: http://admissions.gmu.edu/transfer/transferCreditSearch.asp

Mason Core: http://catalog.gmu.edu/mason-core/

Claudia Borke

Academic Advisor, Department of Bioengineering

George Mason University

3102 Peterson Hall, 4400 University Drive, 1J7

Fairfax, VA 22030

703-993-4190

bioengineering.gmu.edu

Student advising: Appointments