The Spring 2021 schedule of classes is now viewable on PatriotWeb. Registration will begin on
November 4th. The spring 2021 semester is scheduled to begin on January 25th, a week later than originally planned. Many classes will be delivered
online in synchronous, asynchronous, and hybrid formats. Some classes will take place on campus. You may refer to the syllabus or the course Blackboard page, or reach out to the instructor directly as needed to make sure you understand the format and expectations.
Please see Mason’s Safe Return to Campus Plan for
Please make a note the following information:
- Starting in the spring of 2021, ISEC students will have
two methods core course options to choose from (see below). If you took POGO 511 or are in the process of completing it this term, do not take ITRN 501.
You only need to choose one of the options to satisfy the methods core requirement.
- POGO 511 students must first pass a screening exam. Information about this is at
- ITRN 501:
Data Analysis Global Pol Econ (can be found under International Commerce/Policy; this course does not require a screening exam)
- POGO 550, 750 and PUBP 710
are general elective numbers that can be taken multiple times with different topics. Different PUBP 710/POGO 750 courses fall into different I-SEC area requirements (aka buckets) and
concentrations. Please let me know if you have questions about this.
- Attached to this email is a list of elective course options and area requirements (aka ‘buckets’) and concentrations broken out. A lot of the
courses have restrictions to allow priority registration for certain programs – please register for those courses as soon as you’re able to ensure availability.
- Students are encouraged to review the options under the BIOD, GOVT, ITRN, POGO, PUAD, and PUBP headings for other elective choices. Students
should consult with an advisor with any questions about elective eligibility.
- Course syllabi will be posted on the
Schar School syllabi page
as they become available. If a syllabus is not yet posted, please review previous semesters' syllabi to get an idea of class requirements or
contact the teaching faculty directly to inquire
- All non-Schar courses will have to be pre-approved by your academic advisor before registering.
- The complete academic calendar and billing dates can be found on the
Please note the following important wait list procedures:
· Students will be sent e-mails (to their Mason e-mail accounts) when waitlist overrides are issued. Students will not be able to waitlist
for a course if the following apply:
- They are already registered for another section of the same course.
- They are already on a waitlist for another section of the same course
· For more information please visit the
Registrar's Waitlist Information page.
Finally, to assist you with the registration process, I will be holding "Virtual Advising Open House" hours this Thursday from 5pm-6:30pm, and on Monday, November
2nd from 5pm-6:30pm. To join, please visit: https://gmu.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6b3fa353c15506166e485a3a0&id=cf1ee01eb0&e=ebf23bdb28
Should you have any questions, let me know.
Director of Student Services
Schar School of Policy and Government