Faculty and Students - FYI.
From: Kim Eby <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2020 4:18 PM
Subject: Two Items of Note

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

Please forgive the 2nd email of the week, but I wanted to call attention to two items that showed up in yesterday’s (October 28) Office of the Provost newsletter. I know that they are getting to be quite long.

1) The Term Faculty Committee will be holding a Fall Community Conversation on November 19, from 2:30-3:30pm via Zoom (see newsletter for Meeting ID and passcode info). We will be discussing our progress since our last update and answering questions about the work of the committee. We also want to hear about other issues folks might have on their minds related to our work. Please make sure to share with your faculty.

2) The newsletter also contained numerous resources about next week’s Election. I have cut and paste that section below in the event you want to forward it to your faculty and/or students.

All best,
Kim

For Faculty

We know that next week’s election is weighing heavily on everyone’s minds ad as an institution of higher education, it is important for us to provide space for students to process and make meaning of the election, regardless of the outcome. A number of peer institutions have created valuable resources for faculty to engage students in these conversations. For example, James Madison University has a guide for Facilitating Difficult Election Conversations as part of its Center for Civic Engagement that includes important points to address when having these conversations, the types of guidelines you might create for the conversation, and how to pose questions that allow students to express how they feel. At the University of Colorado Boulder, the Center for Teaching and Learning has a resource page for Preparing Your Classroom for the 2020 National Election that includes how to keep the learning space open during “charged” conversations, information about structuring civil discourse, some of the do’s and don’ts of facilitation. In addition, the University of Michigan’s Center for Research on Teaching and Learning has a blog series about how to plan for, frame, and facilitate Conversations about the 2020 Election

Please know that Counseling and Psychological Services has also posted Election Stress Resources for students, faculty, and staff which you may wish to share with your students. Also, the Center for the Advancement of Wellbeing has information on Stress Relief Tips for the Election Season  As faculty consider how to have these conversations over the last third of the semester, we encourage all to look to these resources for specific strategies and approaches.