From: Alyssa T Fahringer <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, October 2, 2020 7:54 AM
To: Sam Lebovic <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: Search for Assistant Professor in Digital History (FIU)

Good morning, Dr. Lebovic.

Would you be able to forward this job announcement to the PhD listserv?

Thank you very much.

Alyssa Fahringer

Alyssa Toby Fahringer | she/her/hers
Digital Scholarship Consultant
Digital Scholarship Center
George Mason University Libraries

From: Chantalle Verna <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, October 2, 2020 at 07:01
To: Alyssa T Fahringer <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Victor Uribe <[log in to unmask]>, History Dept <[log in to unmask]>, Chantalle Verna <[log in to unmask]>

Alyssa Fahringer
Digital Scholarship Consultant
George Mason University

Greetings:

The
History Department at Florida International University is currently searching for an Assistant Professor in digital history (tenure track), and we welcome your assistance in identifying highly-qualified candidates. The area of specialization for this position is open.  At the time we finalized our job posting, we indicated an interest in finding someone who could teach modern American history, but we want to stress that this ability is not a requirement for the job.  We welcome digital history applicants in any field, as well as people with interdisciplinary training and training in cognate fields.

The History Department collaborates with multiple FIU-supported programs related to digital history and the humanities, including the Green Libraryís Digital Scholars Studio, the Digital Library of the Caribbean, and the Wolfsonian Public Humanities Lab (WPHL)one of FIUís Emerging Preeminent Programs.

The person we hire will have a 2-2 teaching load to facilitate an active research agenda.  Our tenure-track faculty have opportunities for course releases based on their research productivity, student enrollments, curriculum development in the digital humanities, and/or participation in training students.  We have also been able to offer our Assistant Professors a one-semester teaching release in their third year, and we expect to continue this practice.

We strongly encourage historically underrepresented minorities and people with experience in teaching diverse student populations to apply, as this reflects our graduate and undergraduate student population.  This is particularly the case for bachelor's degree programs, for which FIU has been acknowledged as the nationís top Hispanic-Serving Institution. A commitment to equity in our education, research, and outreach is part of our departmentís core identity, as witnessed by our partnership with several public history sites such as the Historic Hampton HouseHistoric Virginia Key Beach Park, and the historic Black Police Precinct Courthouse and Museum.

For details about how to apply, please see our job posting, and check out Job Opening ID 520859 at https://facultycareers.fiu.edu/.

All applications and required materials received by the deadline of October 15, 2020 will receive full consideration.  Our review of files will continue until the position is filled.

If you or a prospective candidate has any questions, please email Dr. Chantalle Verna [log in to unmask]  or call 305-348-2328.

Respectfully yours,

Victor Uribe, Department Chair
305.348.2961

Chantalle F. Verna, Search Committee Chair

305.348.0180

Department of History | Miami, FL 33199
history.fiu.edu | 305.348.2328