VSE Faculty and Staff

I know there has been a lot of confusion around what steps you should be taking if you have a position you are working on hiring. The attached employee hiring guide provides more detailed information on what additional steps need to be taken to move forward with the hire.

In cases where the critical vacancy request form needs to be complete (whether for approval or tracking), you will see that prior to the form being submitted, approval of the Dean is required. In order to facilitate this approval, VSE is requiring that a justification memo be drafted that provides details of why the hire fills a critical vacancy. The some of the key factors that should be considered are:

Does the position provide direct service in public safety, patient care or public health?
Is the position essential to the function and mission of the applicable agency?
Are there constitutional or statutory requirements for the position to be filled?
Redundancy of position duties being performed.
Vacancy rate or turnover issues in job / role.
Alternatives considered (automation, job redesign, temporary reassignment of duties, temporary filling as developmental opportunity.)
Impact if position is not filled - services that will not be provided to the public or other critical stakeholders.
Funding required, source and availability of funding (short and long term impact.)
Grant or federal funds that are ready and continuously available
Immediate start date vs. future date.
Cost of overtime vs. cost of hiring additional staff.

These justification memos should be reviewed with your department chair, program director, or administrative department head.  Once they agree that the hire is critical, the justification memo should be submitted to Dean Ball, Associate Dean Ariela Sofer, and myself (copied to Elizabeth Dean).  We will review these requests and determine if they have Dean approval.  If it is approved as a critical hire, we will prepare and submit the Critical Vacancy Request Form.  Faculty and Staff should not be completing the form themselves. Any critical vacancy forms submitted directly by faculty or staff will be denied by the dean.

If you have any questions on the requirements or process, please let me know.

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Kim

Kim Goodwin-Slater
Director of Finance
Volgenau School of Engineering