Dear History and Art History students,

All of you should have received the message from the Provost’s office about the fact that registration for the Fall 2020 semester will open on May 1.  In light of this information, the first thing I wanted to do is simply to make sure you saw this message, and also to share the full information about the priority registration dates.  I’ve included them below, and you can also find them at this web page: https://registrar.gmu.edu/calendars/fall_2020/.

I also wanted to emphasize that the university administration has not decided whether the fall semester will be mainly face-to-face, all online, or somewhere between the two.  As President Holton stated in the town hall two weeks ago (and as I wrote to you in my message last week), the administration plans to make decisions about the fall semester in early June.  As a result, while you should plan to register for classes starting as early as May 1, you should keep an eye out for additional information from the university about the fall semester.  Depending on the administration’s decisions, the fall schedule—not just whether classes are online or not, but which classes will actually be offered—may change significantly.  You should therefore be prepared for the possibility that you will need to adjust your own schedules after those decisions are made.

Thanks for your patience with all of this.  The university is being prudent in waiting to finalize plans for the fall semester until it has better information in hand about how the public health situation might develop in the next few months, but this places a burden on you to be alert for communications from the university and to be flexible in making adjustments based on new information.  Thank you in advance for bearing that burden.

Brian Platt

Chair, Department of History and Art History

April 28, 2020

SUBJECT: Fall Registration to Begin May 1, Summer Registration Ongoing

Dear Patriots,

We hope you are healthy, safe and well. We are pleased to announce that registration for the fall 2020 semester begins this Friday, May 1. Your registration time will be e-mailed directly to you from the Office of the University Registrar.

We know that many of you have questions about the fall semester. University leadership continues to monitor the health crisis and is considering the best options for how classes will be delivered this fall, with the safety of the university community as our main priority.

At the same time, we remain committed to ensuring you stay on track. Therefore, we encourage you to work with your academic advisor now to register for the classes that will advance your progress toward degree completion. If you need to change your schedule after these decisions are made, you will be able to update your registration.

As options are considered for fall 2020 semester classes, know that the university will keep you informed about plans and any possible adjustments that may be necessitated by the COVID-19 crisis and guidance provided by public health officials or directives by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Please check the university’s coronavirus information page for updates.

We are all adjusting and adapting to the implications of COVID-19. At Mason, our foremost concern is your health, safety and well-being. The university is committed to supporting you, your learning and your continued academic and professional development.

Sincerely,

Mark R. Ginsberg

Interim Provost and Executive Vice President

Doug McKenna

University Registrar

https://www2.gmu.edu/sites/all/modules/features/feature_core_theme/templates/resources/images/mason-logo-green.png

Emily Gibson | Graduate Coordinator

History and Art History | College of Humanities and Social Sciences
4400 University Drive, MS 3G1 | Robinson Hall B, Room B354  | Fairfax, VA 22030
phone: 703.993.1248 | fax: 703.993.1251 | email: [log in to unmask]
| web: http://historyarthistory.gmu.edu/

remote office hours (covid-19): 8:30am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday