From: Brian Platt <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 12:07 PM

Subject: GMU Student Emergency Assistance Funding

Dear History and Art History majors,

I’m writing in the midst of what is, for probably all of you, a time of great disruption and stress.  This has been a busy time for faculty and staff as well, but I can only imagine how difficult it is for students to try to keep up with your classes while continuing to fulfill your responsibilities with work and family.  Please do not hesitate to reach out to your professors and let them know how you’re doing.  I know that the faculty are deeply concerned about students who might be struggling, and they want to help—but they can only do that if you let them know.

I also wanted to make sure that you knew that the university has created a Student Emergency Assistance Fund.  The application process is very simple.  Here is the address:

https://ulife.gmu.edu/student-emergency-assistance-funding/

The faculty are all sorry not to be in class with you.  Under normal circumstances, I know they look forward to being with you in class each week.  They are sad that they won’t see you in person for the rest of the semester, particularly those of you who are about to graduate.  But they also want to make the best of the situation and will put forth every effort make the rest of the semester a rewarding learning experience for you.

Please let us know how you’re doing, and if you need help.

Brian Platt

Chair, Department of History and Art History

George Mason University