Dear colleagues:

Welcome to the 2019-20 academic year. Our campuses are alive with excitement for the new year. The hallways and common spaces are full of the sounds of students, faculty, and staff greeting old friends and meeting new ones.

The work of our faculty continues to capture the attention of industry, federal and state government, and our peer institutions across the Commonwealth, the nation, and around the world. We are educating more students to fill the tech-talent pipeline with a diverse and skilled workforce. Our significant accomplishments over the last year have positioned us to lead the university on many fronts including faculty research, STEM outreach, workforce development, and curriculum innovation.

Some highlights include:
- Number one national ranking from the SANS Institute for Cybersecurity Talent Discovery.
- Record high research growth for the third consecutive year: Annual expenditures grew to $57 million from $30 million a year ago, and awards climbed to $77.5 million from $55 million.
- New master's degree program in Cyber Security Engineering coming soon (pending SCHEV approval).
- Student population of more than 8,000.
- Faculty roster totaling 248.

We would like to extend a warm welcome to the faculty members who are joining us this year. They are:

Socrates Dimitriadis, assistant professor; Ana Loreto Gonzalez Hernandez, assistant professor; Jonathan Katz, professor, eminent scholar for cybersecurity; Maya Larson, assistant professor; and Tessema Mindaye Megistu, assistant professor - Computer Science

Khaled Khasawneh, assistant professor; and Sai Manoj, assistant professor - Electrical and Computer Engineering

Mahdi Hashemi, assistant professor; and Myeon Lee, assistant professor - Information Sciences and Technology

Zahra Shaghayegh Bagheri, assistant professor; Shri Dubey, assistant professor, and Nathan Kathir, associate professor - Mechanical Engineering

Jiayang Sun, professor and chair; Takunbo Fadahunsi, assistant professor; and Michael Holland, instructor; - Statistics

Christopher Carr, chief diversity officer - Office of the Dean

New faculty bring new knowledge and expertise, as well as cognitive diversity that enriches our community. They stimulate new collaborations and partnerships and foster new avenues of exploration that lead to productive teaching and research.

During the next year, we expect to continue on our amazing trajectory on all fronts and appreciate all that you do to ensure our success. We are excited about all the possibilities the new academic year brings and look forward to working beside you to support your continued success.

Best wishes for a productive year.

Sincerely,

Ken Ball, Dean
Sharon Caraballo, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs
Liza Wilson Durant, Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives and Community Engagement
Deborah Goodings, Associate Dean for Graduate Programs
Art Pyster, Associate for Dean Research
Ariela Sofer, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Administration

____________________________________

Kenneth S. Ball, Ph.D., P.E.
Dean, Volgenau School of Engineering
George Mason University
Nguyen Engineering Building
4400 University Drive, MS 4A3
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone:  (703) 993-1500
FAX:       (703) 993-1734
E-mail:   [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Web:      http://volgenau.gmu.edu
Twitter: @KenBallVa

[cid:[log in to unmask]]