From: Tom Durwood <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:42 PM
Subject: CFP: Empire Studies Essay Contest

Dear Grad Director or Coordinator,

I am writing to on behalf of Empire Studies Magazine to invite interested doctoral students to submit to our upcoming "Empire and Contemporary Children's Literature" special feature. If you think your students might be interested, please send the CFP below/attached to your program listserv or forward to individual students. Feel free also to email with any questions.

Our online magazine is designed to be a resource for undergraduate humanities teachers of empire, as well as a hub for new scholars' ideas. Essay winners receive a cash prize and are published in the online magazine.

Many thanks,
The Editorial Team
Empire Studies Magazine

JES Logo.jpg

CFP / Essay Contest

Empire and Contemporary Children’s Literature

Empire Studies, an open-access online magazine, invites essays for a special issue on specific topics within a broad consideration of “Empire and Contemporary Children’s Literature.”

We are looking for student-friendly, jargon-free essays,

1600-2000 word count. The winning essay will receive a prize of $300,

three runners-up will be awarded $100.

All four selected essays will be published on the Empire Studies site.

Each feature will also include an interview with the author, an Editor’s Introduction to the essay, and lesson plans.

For our purposes, “literature” encompasses both written fiction and film, young adult as well as juvenile (Star Wars and Harry Potter included).

We hope to receive essays which will engage students with

patterns of empire in works familiar to them.

The authors retain copyright over their work, Empire Studies retains the right to post the essay on the Empire Studies web site and to house features in such open-access repositories as Humanities Commons.

Deadline: October 1, 2019

www.empirestudies.com