Randall:

Not a problem! In terms of setting up PotatoDistributors, it's going to
depend a bit upon what your model is going to do. If the producers just
need to "contact" them to have an action take place and the decision making
doesn't change, then you might be able to use a Singleton pattern along
with dependency injection to pass the current SimState for anything that
the distributor might need. This is the same pattern that I followed in a
recent ABM I wrote (in preparation for peer review, email me directly if
you want a link to the source code).

In terms of displaying information in MASON - that is a bit trickier, but
depending upon what you are trying to display then sometimes you can get
away with inheritance or just defining an interface so you only have to
sort out the display once. So far my ABMs tend to follow some of the OOP
patterns that I picked up over the years and have two layers to them. The
first layer is the material that you would expect to see discussed in an
ODD write-up while the second layer tends to be more technical aspects that
just manage the simulation and capture data from the agents. Getting
comfortable with abstract classes and interfaces helps since that tends to
be necessary to separate the the ABM concepts from the more
"administrative" aspects such as displaying information.

Regards,
Robert Zupko