cid:image002.jpg@01D3B7B7.9643CBC0

May 7th,  2019

May 9          Dr. Joshua Plotkin, Stony Brook

May 10        Dr. Luke Osborn, JHU

May 20        Just in Time Career Fair

News
Connect with us on Linkedin, Facebook and Twitter.

Graduation - May 16th @ 2pm

GRADUATES expected to line up in
Parking Lot A at 1:00 PM

https://volgenau.gmu.edu/degree-celebration

Bioengineering RECEPTION and AWARD ceremony for graduates and families in Peterson Atrium directly following, 4 - 6pm. Please

Academics

Undergraduate NEWS:

ATTENTION:

BENG 501 – Undergraduate students registering for BENG 501 in Fall 2019 need an active research project with a research mentor. Changes for BAM in Data Analytics – Please take BENG 520 instead of BENG 501 or have your research project approved by the new BAM Data Analytics Director. Email me if you have questions.

BENG 421/521Tissue Engineering has been rescheduled to MWF at 8:30 am-9:20 am. We have noticed that the registration for our BIOE Technical Electives have been low. Many of the classes will give you a prerequisite error and shouldn’t. So if you can’t register for a Bioengineering class other than the ones listed below please let me know. Even after May 21st, they may give you a prerequisite error due to the new catalog entries.

Controls and Overrides: The following BENG classes for Fall 2019 have controls:

BENG 214, 230, BENG 320, BENG 330/331, BENG 360, BENG 370/371, BENG 420, BENG 391. The controls will be lifted on May 21st at 10 am.

Students who will take BENG 492 in fall 2019 or spring 2020, please email me for an override of BENG 391 NOW (which replaces BENG 491). Students who are graduating in fall and still need BENG 420 please email me as well for an override.

MATH 203 BIOE section: Is mandatory and needs an override from me. Please email [log in to unmask] for an override.

BIOL 213 BIOE section: For BIOE students in fall 2019, includes additional material in preparation of higher BENG classes.

Want to take a 5XX class? You need to fill out this form and have your instructor sign. Then bring it to our office: https://registrar.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/GCUC-0818.pdf

Appointments with your Advisor: Use the appointment system SSC Campus -  https://gmu.campus.eab.com/

Walk ins Week of May 6th: April 24th from 1:30pm – 3:00 pm. Many appointments available now.Please make use of the walk ins. They can also be looked up on Navigate.

May and August 2019 Graduates: Important information about timelines and the entire graduation process can be found at https://registrar.gmu.edu/students/graduation/

Class Changes for Fall 2019 DUE to new curriculum implementation. Please see REVISED equivalency sheet attached.

Events

2019 Just in Time Fair | May 20th | 3:00-6:00 pm Dewberry Hall, JC. Don’t have a summer internship yet? The 2019 Just in Time Fair is open to all employers recruiting for all types of openings - part time, full time, internships and summer positions. All students and alumni will be invited to this event. Check for details and employers attending: https://careers.gmu.edu/events?trumbaEmbed=eventid%3D346328337%26view%3Devent%26-childview%3D

BENG and CASBBI SEMINARS

[FLYER] Dr. Joshua Plotkin | Stony Brook University, Thursday, May 9th |12pm-1:00pm| Krasnow, Room 229

Title: Dendritic synaptic integration in striatal spiny projection neurons and compulsive behaviors

Dr. Luke Osborn | Johns Hopkins University

Friday, May 10th |1:00pm| Krasnow, Room 229

Internships/Jobs

Internship

[FLYER] Medical Imaging and Technology Alliance (MITA): Application Deadline 5/24/2019

The Medical Imaging & Technology Alliance is the collective voice of medical imaging equipment and radiopharmaceutical manufacturers, innovators and product developers. It represents companies whose sales comprise more than 90 percent of the global market for medical imaging technology.

Compensation:  Interns are paid a stipend unless they are receiving academic credit, in which case they may be unpaid. The stipend is $1,000.00 per month.

Weekly schedule 20 hours per week.

Jobs

[FLYER] How to build a resume in USAJOBS: Since building a resume is very important, this is a guide that will help you build one effectively step by step.

Are you doing an internship this summer, were you accepted to a special program? LET US KNOW. We want to know what you do!

Do you have a Linkedin account? Check out what Linked in can do for you:

https://university.linkedin.com/linkedin-for-students

Job Services

Peer Mentor Center | Closed now until fall 2019

Career Services  |Dorothy Hayden is our newest Industry Advisor in University Career Services.

                  Schedule your appointment with her here: https://careers.gmu.edu/students/make-appointment

Handshake

handshake.gmu.edu

Mason’s source for jobs, internships, workshops, & career fairs.

Scholarship

Contact Us

General Phone: 703-993-5846

Advising - Claudia Borke:703-993-4190

Email: [log in to unmask]

Website: http://bioengineering.gmu.edu/

Claudia Borke

Academic Advisor

Volgenau School of Engineering, Department of Bioengineering

3102 Peterson Family Health Sciences Hall, 1J7

4400 University Drive

Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: (703) 993-4190

Fax: (703) 993-2077

STUDENTS: Please use your MasonLive e-mail. Include name and G number!

APPOINTMENTS: https://gmu.campus.eab.com/

Frequently Used Forms and Websites:

Declare concentration: http://registrar.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/UCDM.pdf (Fill out top and enter new concentration in “advisor use only” box)

Run Degree evaluation/audit: http://registrar.gmu.edu/students/degree-evaluation/degree-works/