cid:<a href=[log in to unmask]">

April 9th,  2019

April 11     Dr. Ethan Cohen

April 12     Faculty Career Advising Event

April 15-19  Health and Science Industry Week

April 16     VSE UG Research Celebration

April 17     Veterans Affairs application deadline

April 18     Dr. David Hamilton

April 18     Ask Me Anything

News

Connect with us on Linkedin, Facebook and Twitter.

FALL REGISTRATION STARTS this week:

Registration -  Graduate students & Seniors: Apr2, Juniors: Apr8, SO: Apr10, FR: Apr12

Academics

Undergraduate NEWS:

ATTENTION:

Class Changes for Fall 2019 DUE to new curriculum implementation. Please see REVISED equivalency sheet attached.

Controls and Overrides: The following BENG classes for Fall 2019 have controls:

BENG 214, 230, BENG 320, BENG 330/331, BENG 360, BENG 370/371, BENG 420, BENG 391. The controls will be lifted on May 21st at 10 am.

Students who will take BENG 492 in fall 2019 or spring 2020, please email me for an override of BENG 391 (which is now senior seminar I). Students who are graduating in fall and still need BENG 420 please email me as well for an override.

MATH 203 BIOE section: Is mandatory and needs an override from me. Please email [log in to unmask] for an override.

BIOL 213 BIOE section: For BIOE students in fall 2019, includes additional material in preparation of higher BENG classes.

Want to take a 5XX class? You need to fill out this form and have your instructor sign. Then bring it to our office: https://registrar.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/GCUC-0818.pdf

Appointments with your Advisor: Use the appointment system SSC Campus -  https://gmu.campus.eab.com/

Walk ins Week of April 8th: April 9th from 2-4pm, April 10th from 1-3pm, April 11th from 10-12pm, April 12th from 10-12pm.

Walk ins Week of April 15th: April 15th from 3-4pm. April 17th from 2-3:30pm  Please make use of the walk ins. They can also be looked up on Navigate.

SUMMER CLASSES AT HOME: Are you considering taking a class or two at home? Please fill out a STUDY ELSEWHERE form at your earliest convenience. No class credit without prior approval. Deadline at my office April 15th. Please look up my earlier email this month what to include with the form to get it approved.

May and August 2019 Graduates: Important information about timelines and the entire graduation process can be found at https://registrar.gmu.edu/students/graduation/

Gowns for Grads - lends commencement regalia to students that are unable to purchase their own cap and gown.  The Spring 2019 Gowns for Grads application is now open. New this semester is an option for anyone affected by the furlough to apply for the program.  Students can go to https://ulife.gmu.edu/students/gowns-for-grads-lending-program/ to apply.  The deadline is May 6, 2019 and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.  Any questions can be directed to [log in to unmask] or to Adrienne Thompson, at [log in to unmask].

Events

Faculty Career Advising Event | April 12th | 1:00 – 4:00 pm Sign-up sheet was sent to BIOE majors with instructions. Our new Pre-Health Advisor Ms. Mimi Qureshi Lewis has been so kind to participate in our event.

Health and Science Industry Week | April 15th – April 19th| Spend a week exploring careers in health and/or science! Talk to people who have been there, discover opportunities, meet employers, and go behind the scenes to find out what it takes to work in these fast - growing fields. https://gmu.joinhandshake.com/events/244053/share_preview

VSE UG Research Celebration | April 16th | 5:30-8:30 pm Dewberry Hall
Ask Me Anything | April 18th | 4:30-6:30 pm Krasnow, Great Room, How does The Big Bang Theory get their equations right? Who consulted about the tech in The Avengers? Ask Ann! Join the IBI for appetizers and an “Ask Me Anything” session with Ann Merchant of The Science & Entertainment Exchange. RSVP: https://form.jotform.com/90666466692168

BENG SEMINARS

Dr. Ethan Cohen | Thursday, April 11th |12pm-1:00pm| Krasnow, Room 229

Title: Development of a Microscope for Simultaneous Optical Coherence Tomography and Confocal Imaging for Use in Toxicology

Dr. Gregory Clement | Friday, April 12th |1:00pm-2:00pm| Krasnow, Room 229

Title: New and Emerging Transcranial Ultrasound Brain Therapies

Dr. David Hamilton | Thursday, April 18th |12pm-1:00pm| Krasnow, Room 229

Title: Biologically Inspired Engineering Solutions for Finance and Defense

More Events
[FLYER] Peace Corp Prep | see flyer for dates and locations

Peace Corp information sessions. Mason has a program with the Peace Corp focusing on language, experience, and leadership.

Internships/Jobs

Jobs

[FLYER] Veterans Health Administration: TCF Biomedical Engineering Position |Application Deadline 4/17/2019: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/529417400

The Department of Veterans Affairs is offering a unique career opportunity in Biomedical (Clinical) Engineering that invites qualified candidates with drive and commitment to serve a very special class of citizens – our nation’s Veterans. The Technical Career Field (TCF) Trainee Program is a two-year program that develops Biomedical Engineers to be effective Program Managers in a VA Medical Center. These fulltime positions provide salary, benefits, focused training and travel.

[FLYER] How to build a resume in USAJOBS: Since building a resume is very important, this is a guide that will help you build one effectively step by step.

Are you doing an internship this summer, were you accepted to a special program? LET US KNOW. We want to know what you do!

Do you have a Linkedin account? Check out what Linked in can do for you:

https://university.linkedin.com/linkedin-for-students

Job Services

Peer Mentor Center | ENGR 2614| Mo-Th: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm, Fr: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm

Come and sign up for free tutoring. For more information click here.

Career Services  |Nguyen Engineering Building ENGR 2800| Mondays and Wednesdays: Dorothy Hayden is our newest Industry Advisor in University Career Services. She will be working with Mason students interested in working in all engineering fields, as well as construction, manufacturing & transportation, and employers in these industries

                  Scheduled Appointments all day Monday and Wednesday, ENGR 2800:

                  https://careers.gmu.edu/students/make-appointment

                  Drop-ins: 2:30-4:30 pm Thursday ENGR 2800

                  Other times: SUB I 3400

Handshake

handshake.gmu.edu

Mason’s source for jobs, internships, workshops, & career fairs.

Scholarship

Elena’s Student Scholarships for Well-Being | Applications can be found here.

Deadline is April 17th, 2019.

Caring.com Scholarships for Student Care Givers:  Deadlines vary

More and more high school and college students are taking on the role of caregiver for aging loved ones. To help support these students, Caring.com has made available scholarships that can provide financial assistance. There are 12 different scholarships listed.

More information:

Contact Us

General Phone: 703-993-5846

Advising - Claudia Borke:703-993-4190

Email: [log in to unmask]

Website: http://bioengineering.gmu.edu/

Claudia Borke

Academic Advisor

Volgenau School of Engineering, Department of Bioengineering

3102 Peterson Family Health Sciences Hall, 1J7

4400 University Drive

Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: (703) 993-4190

Fax: (703) 993-2077

STUDENTS: Please use your MasonLive e-mail. Include name and G number!

APPOINTMENTS: https://gmu.campus.eab.com/

Frequently Used Forms and Websites:

Declare concentration: http://registrar.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/UCDM.pdf (Fill out top and enter new concentration in “advisor use only” box)

Run Degree evaluation/audit: http://registrar.gmu.edu/students/degree-evaluation/degree-works/