Dear Biosciences PhD Students,

The Biosciences program has been able to provide funding opportunities (50% GRA positions and fellowships) through a 3-year grant we received through the Provost office.   Unfortunately this funding (the Provost Biosciences PhD Award) is ending this summer.  We have and will continue to apply for additional funding for the program.

Due to the Provost Biosciences PhD Award ending, we will not have any 50% GRA positions or fellowships for the 2019 academic year (and possibly summer 2020).  GTAs are currently supported at $18,000/9 months and a number of BIOS students have been competitively awarded “top-off” funding to bring their stipends to $23,000.  This funding will not be available in Fall 2019/Spring 2020, rather GTAs will only be provided the $18,000 GTA stipends.

This information is being provided to help you with financial planning for the next academic year.

Best,

Dr. Kehn-Hall

Kylene Kehn-Hall, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, National Center for Biodefense and Infectious Diseases

Ascociate Director, School of Systems Biology

George Mason University

Biomedical Research Laboratory

10650 Pyramid Place, MS 1J5

Manassas, VA 20110