Greetings!

Please join us for the 2019 Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration Evening of Reflection on Wednesday, January 30th, 2019 in Johnson Center, Dewberry Hall from 6:00pm-8:30pm. The 2019 Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration Evening of Reflection is a space where the Mason Community can come together to honor Dr. King, Jr and the accomplishments of our students, faculty, and community members.

We are now accepting nominations. Please review the award descriptions and nominate via the following link:
https://goo.gl/forms/DegOpkxu51BEICje2

EXTENDED DEADLINE: All nominations are due by Friday, January 11th, 2019.

The theme for George Mason University’s 2019 Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration is Dreams and Nightmares: We Cannot Rest. This theme embodies the significance of Dr. King’s Dream for justice and equality for all, but implores that we cannot stop there! The fight for equity, social justice, and the abolishment of systemic oppressions is still on! “We Cannot Rest” is a derivative of a quote from civil rights activist and pioneer, Ella Baker. Her famous quote, “Until the killing of Black Men, Black Mother’s sons, becomes as important to the rest of the country as the killing of a white mother’s son, we who believe in Freedom cannot rest until this happens” was laid to music and is widely known as “Ella’s Song”.

The MLK Commemoration Committee would like to invite you and your organization to attend this event. This event is open to all students, faculty, staff, and community members.

If you plan to attend, please RSVP here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2019-martin-luther-king-commemoration-evening-of-reflection-tickets-53827212642

Cordially,

--

Dr. Michelle M. Allen

she/her/hers

Assistant Director of Programming

Office of Diversity, Inclusion, and Multicultural Education (ODIME)

Student Union Building (SUB) I, Suite 2400

George Mason University

O: (703) 993-2700

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto-Terence

(I am a Human Being, therefore nothing human can be alien to me)

Women & Gender Studies Center
MSN 5B6
Johnson Center 240K
703.993.2896