SubPopulation's 'duplicate-retries' parameter only applies during the
initialization of the population, not during breeding, so that doesn't seem
to me to be what Andrew is looking for.

It seems to me that preventing duplicates would be easy enough to do by
writing your own BreedingPipeline class (ex. I might start by copy-pasting
CheckingPipeline and then modifying its logic)—but the question is how to
do it efficiently.  When SubPopulation and UniquePipeline avoid duplicates,
they do so by building a temporary HashSet that can be used to check for
duplicates as individuals are generated.

Off the top of my head, it's not obvious to me where we would put this
hashing logic when trying to prevent duplicates in offspring populations.
This is because breeding in ECJ happens in chunks of various size that
might be farmed off to different threads.

Sorry if that's not much help.  There's probably a better way that I
haven't thought of.

Siggy

--

Doctoral Candidate, George Mason University
http://mason.gmu.edu/~escott8/