There are a couple ways of doing it, but one of the easiest might be to
have an "agent" scheduled at the end / start of each time step that is
responsible for gathering information about the model state. MASON has a
scheduleOnce method that only invokes the agent once, but you can then
reinsert the agent after you've done your work. Assuming it is the last
thing you schedule upon initialization, it should be the last thing called
each time step.