From: MASON Multiagent Simulation Toolkit <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Ernesto Carrella
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 11:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Architectural reasoning behind step(SimState state)

I had a lot of issues unit testing MASON code but I don't really see any problem with the way Steppable and SimState operate.

Siggy's right: often you are better off passing all information at constructor or in a start() method rather than grabbing it from SimState.

But that creates all sorts of other issues. If you realize later on (as it always happens) that the agent  actually needs some more input, you need to change the interface/constructor of the agent (which is a pain if it's subclassed or instantiated often) and you also need to straighten out the initialization sequence between all agents and all inputs.
It also makes the testing clunky as you need to build all sorts of objects even though you only care about unit testing the interaction between the agent and one of the inputs.
I don't see the advantage in having to do this (god forbid using a builder pattern):

Agent agent = new Agent( mock(InterestingInput.class),

                         mock(UninterestingInput1.class),

                         mock(UninterestingInput1.class),

                         ....,

                         mock(UninterestingInputn.class))

agent.step(mock(Simstate.class))

assertEquals(agent.getInterestingOutput(),target)

compared to just stubbing a getter from the SimState

Agent agent = new Agent()

SimState state = mock(Simstate.class);

when(state.getInterestingContext()).thenReturn(mock(InterestingInput.class))

agent.step()

assertEquals(agent.getInterestingOutput(),target)
At least regarding the testing itself.
Am I missing something?

Issues to me always emerge because SimState and all the other MASON objects tend to access fields directly (state.random or state.schedule) which screws with mocks big time. But that's just a matter of building a couple of getters and setters and enforcing your code to use them.