From: Rose M Cherubin
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:28 PM
To: Writing and Rhetoric PhD; Douglas Eyman; Zachary Schrag; Emily M Gibson; Sam Lebovic; Robert DeCaroli; Benjamin C Gatling
Cc: Rachel E Jones
Subject: Spring 2018 graduate course in PHIL

Greetings colleagues,

I hope that you have had an excellent winter break.

In Spring 2018 Philosophy will be offering a graduate course that we think might be of interest to your students. I am including the description below; please do convey this to anyone whom you think would be interested. If you or your students have any questions or need further information, please do let me know.

Sincerely and with best regards,
Rose Cherubin
MA Director
Philosophy

PHIL 721-001: Advanced Seminar in Philosophy: Early Greek Philosophy in Context: Truth and Justice
Prof. Cherubin
Wednesdays 4:30 PM to 07:10 PM      East Building 134
        The inquiries that developed into what Plato and Aristotle called 'philosophia' arose in dialogue with other forms of learning and other sources of understanding. Specifically, they arose in dialogue with forms that were better-established and that were considered more authoritative: Greek (and to some extent Egyptian and Persian) religious learning and prophecy; epic, lyric, and tragic poetry; craft and technological knowledge; and, toward the end of the period, rhetoric.
        Early Greek poetry and religious tradition presented the values of aletheia and dike -- very roughly, truth and justice -- as connected to one another and as something to which only those selected by the gods had substantial access. This seminar will investigate how early philosophical inquirers took up, interrogated, and transformed the understanding of aletheia and dike, making them more inclusive (suggesting that anyone could pursue them through inquiry), and setting them up to be central to the philosophy to come. We will consider what aletheia and dike meant and implied, as well as the roles they played in pre-philosophical and philosophical ancient Greek understandings of what is and how we might learn about it.
        Figures studied in this course will include Anaximander, Xenophanes, Heraclitus, Parmenides, Zeno, Gorgias, Homer, Hesiod, Pindar, Bacchylides, Aeschylus, and others as time may permit.