From: Brian Platt
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 2:19 PM

Subject: Your Opportunity to Serve as a Virginia History Day Judge, District 5

Dear History graduate students,

Please take a look at this and consider volunteering.  The department used to host and organize this event, and our faculty and grad students used to comprise the majority of the judges.  It’s a big time commitment (a good portion of a Saturday), but it’s a lot of fun.

Brian Platt

Chair, Department of History and Art History

"I have learned there is always a different side to the story that's just under the surface that's waiting to be discovered, and that no opinion is not worth at least some level of consideration, no matter how outlandish it may seem."  National History Day student

Dear Friend of History,

Do you enjoy historical topics?  Do you find it rewarding to mentor young people?

Do you like working in a small team to discuss history with adults and students?

Have you have answered YES to these questions? Then, we would love to have you volunteer as a Judge for the District 5 Competition of Virginia History Day!  If you teach history or social studies, give history-based tours, or are an enthusiastic reader of history, you are qualified to serve as a judge.  You do not need to be a history expert.

JUDGING DETAILS for Virginia History Day District 5