Please see the message below from Cody Edwards as well as the attachment. Stephen

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Proposed plan to tax graduate tuition waivers
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 09:47:55 -0500
From: Cody Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
To: Cody Edwards <[log in to unmask]>

Dear colleagues,

Over the past week, many of you have expressed great concern regarding the House’s proposed tax plan (see link below for more information). Among other things this plan would impose a tax on waived tuition. Obviously, such a tax would further burden our students financially, even making it impossible for some to pursue graduate degrees. With input from many others, Kerry Bolognese, Director of Federal Government Relations in Mason’s office of Government and Community Relations, addressed the attached letter of concern to Senator Mark Warner. Kerry will continue to work political channels to voice our concerns and to determine other action available to us. We are also working with colleagues at other VA institutions and the Council of Graduate Schools to voice united opposition to this proposed tax.

We will continue to share information as it becomes available and trust you will do the same.

Take care,

Cody

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/11/07/grad-students-and-policy-experts-say-taxing-graduate-students-tuition-waivers-would?utm_source=Inside+Higher+Ed&utm_campaign=e3d3f7c6be-DNU20171107&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1fcbc04421-e3d3f7c6be-197525537&mc_cid=e3d3f7c6be&mc_eid=442a29b982

Cody W. Edwards, Ph.D.

Associate Provost for Graduate Education

Interim Executive Director, Smithsonian-Mason School of Conservation

Office of the Provost
George Mason University
4400 University Dr., MSN 3A2
Fairfax, VA 22030