We needed a way to store integers in an extensible array to keep track of indexes of parents.  And boxing and unboxing is costly.  You could just do boxing in the C# implementation.

Ben, we should keep you more in the loop as we make modifications to ECJ 25 and (coming) 26, since I know you've been working to keep your C# version up to date.

Sean