*Search-Based Software Testing Based on Information Theory*

Software Engineering Seminar,  Friday, Oct 27, 1pm, ENGR Room 4201

Robert Feldt <http://www.robertfeldt.net/>
Professor
Chalmers University of Technology

*Abstract:*

Software testing has progressed in recent years and we have a multitude of
new methods to automate the creation and execution of tests. The more
general trends of agile development and continuous integration/deployment
have also lead to increased use of testing techniques in industrial
practice. However, key concepts in software testing still lack clear
definitions and formalizations, which hinders progress. For example, it is
intuitive to any tester that test cases should differ to better cover both
intended and actual software behavior. It has been less clear how to define
such diversity and how to achieve it in practice. In this talk we show how
concepts from information theory can be applied to give universal and
general metrics for diversity of test information and how, coupled with
search and optimization, these metrics can help create diverse test suites.
Empirical evaluation shows that such highly diverse test sets give higher
structural and fault coverage even when only applied to test inputs. We
also briefly present recent ideas for how to build on these results to
formalize and automate other testing concepts such as boundary value and
robustness testing.