Over the past year, we have worked with our advisory board to identify ways that they can support the program at for students at various points within it.  For sophomore’s the objective was to provide an opportunity (on or off campus) for the sophomore cohort to interact with working engineers, and gain exposure to topics and skill sets of interest to engineering professionals.

This has resulted in 2 opportunities below which, as sophomores in the ME department, you will have the first opportunity to register for.  Next Sunday, September 24th, we will open up registration to all ME students.  More detailed information regarding the experiences such as parking, transportation, do’s/don’ts will be provided closer to the date only to the students who have registered.

Smithsonian Institution Renwick Gallery Facility Tour Sponsored by Roger Chang, PE, Principal Engineering Leader, DLR Group www.dlrgroup.com.  The Renwick Gallery, recently modernized in 2015 by the DLR Group and selected as a National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS) BeyondGreen award winner for application of whole building design. The Renwick Gallery is considered the first purpose-built art museum in the United States, completed in the 1860s.  The recent modernization includes significant improvements to the building’s infrastructure, including LED lighting, cooling and heating equipment, and other systems to support 21st century exhibit programming. REGISTER

Micron Advanced Manufacturing Facility Tour and Workplace Overview Sponsored by Kevin Hicks, PE, Sr. Facilities Mechanical Engineer, Micron Technology https://www.micron.com/ Site Visit at a high-volume Semiconductor Manufacturing plant. The purpose of the visit is to give students exposure to advanced manufacturing of semiconductors and the associated facilities. We will emphasize the application of mechanical engineering in this workplace but also the close collaboration that must happen between all engineering disciplines to generate high-quality electronic products. Topics covered will include: overview of the semiconductor industry, device operation, device manufacturing, facilities design, plant operations and engineering job roles that support the operation. Activity will start with a presentation and discussion with engineers and conclude with a window tour of the manufacturing floor (cleanroom) and critical plant systems. Estimated durations is 3 hours. REGISTER

Colin J. Reagle

Assistant Professor

Director of Undergraduate Programs

Mechanical Engineering

George Mason University

Nguyen Engineering Building, Office 1856

4400 University Dr, MS 4A3

Fairfax, VA, 22030

(703) 993-1712 (o)

@MasonMECHE