Chris,

What errors do you see when you run Make?  It builds out of the box on my Mac like so ('curl -O' OSX's equivalent to 'wget'):

$ curl -O https://cs.gmu.edu/~eclab/projects/ecj/ecj.tar.gz
$ tar -xzvf ecj.tar.gz
$ cd ecj
$ make

After running make, you can run the GUI directly from the compiled class files (bypassing the Jar) like so (just make sure you're in the root of the source directory):

$ java ec.display.Console

Where is this in the docs?  It looks like it worked.  And on OS X.  I made a script and lo and behold.  I did get one warning.  I don't think it's any major concern.

warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.5

THANK YOU.  Hopefully, on to the tutorials.

As to '-sourcefile,' I'm not familiar with that parameter (it doesn't show up in my man pages for either 'java' or 'jar').

Here's how I would try and run the GUI from a Jar with its dependencies in the CLASSPATH (you can put jars directly into the classpath, btw).  But I get an NPE indicated that it fails to load the GUI resources (i.e. icons) properly.  Maybe the Jar build of the GUI console is broken?

$ curl -O https://cs.gmu.edu/~eclab/projects/ecj/libraries.tar.gz
$ tar -xzvf libraries.tar.gz
$ java -cp "jar/ecj.23.jar:libraries/*.jar" ec.display.Console
at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(ImageIcon.java:217)
at ec.display.Console.getPlayButton(Console.java:181)
at ec.display.Console.getJToolBar(Console.java:163)
at ec.display.Console.getJContentPane(Console.java:535)
at ec.display.Console.initialize(Console.java:508)
at ec.display.Console.<init>(Console.java:97)
at ec.display.Console.main(Console.java:494)

--

Ph.D student in Computer Science, George Mason University
CFO and Web Director, Journal of Mason Graduate Research

--

Chris Johnson [log in to unmask]
Ex SysAdmin, now, writer  A bargain is something you don’t need