List of Announcements (details below):

·         This Week at the Volgenau School

·         VSE in the News

·         Photo of the Week

·         Upcoming Events at the Volgenau School

·         21st Annual Washington Energy Policy Conference (Thu Apr 6)

·         Fenwick Library Publishing Workshop (Wed Apr 12, 3pm)

·         NSF CAREER Program Webinar (Mon May 22, 1pm)

·         ITS Security Liaisons Newsletter

·         Funding Opportunity: 3D Visualization (Navy)

·         Kai Zeng Receives Funding from NSF

·         Kathy Laskey, Abbas Zaidi, & Edward Huang Receive Funding from Innovative Decisions & IARPA

·         Patent Awarded to Stephen Prior, Ken De Jong, & Jayshree Sarma

·         Patent Awarded to Anup Ghosh, Angelos Stavrou, Kun Sun, & Jiang Wang

·         Patent Awarded to Sushil Jajodia, Lingyu Wang, Steven Noel, & Anoop Singhal

·         Patent Awarded to Angelos Stavrou, Anup Ghosh, Sushil Jajodia, & Rhandi Martin

This Week at the Volgenau School

There is an annual rhythm to graduate admissions.  It starts in the autumn with encouraging people who have expressed interest in our programs to submit and complete their applications.  As admission deadlines approach there are spikes of activity in processing the applications themselves.  With winter comes the season for making decisions about which applicants to accept and, of those, which will receive offers of funding.  And now, with the arrival of spring, the focus shifts to yield activities.

The goal is maximize our yield, i.e., we want to ensure that students that we have admitted to our programs actually enroll.  Many of our applicants apply to, and are admitted to, programs at multiple universities.  We want them to choose us.

Until recently the Volgenau School did not put a lot of effort into yield activities for our graduate programs, but that is changing.  We are exploiting a CRM (customer-relationship management) tool to communicate with our applicants on a regular schedule, encouraging them to apply.  A couple of our departments have organized visits to campus for prospective PhD students.  Next year we hope to expand this to a school-wide activity.  Last year we began hosting on-campus receptions for local applicants in all our graduate programs to give them an opportunity to learn more about our programs, facilities, and campus.

Communication plans work best if they are customized to the individual program, and when there is a sense of personal contact between the applicant and the faculty in the program.  Given our many degree programs, it will take some time and effort to achieve this level of individualization.  There is a meeting of the School’s Graduate Studies Committee later today where we will be discussing this.

We also need a compelling message to our applicants.  This is an issue that comes up again and again, and that I have written about before.  Why this program?  Why Mason?  For some of our programs we have identified some answers.  For example, Washington DC is the #2 urban area in the country for jobs in data analytics, and George Mason is the #2 university in the country for the range of its data analytics programs.  These are good selling points for our MS in Data Analytics Engineering.

In terms of the number of completed graduate applications to date, we are having our most successful year ever.  The same is true if you look at the number of admitted students to date.  This is good news, but it will be little comfort if these applicants don’t enroll.  We need to close the deal.

VSE in the News

Here is a list of news stories about VSE that have been posted:

Beyond Mason

·         Healio News: U. of Pittsburgh to work with Mason on $400,000 grant to develop ultrasound sensor system for a hybrid exoskeleton

·         Photonics Media: Mason’s Siddhartha Sikdar and a research team from the University of Pittsburgh work on an ultrasound sensor system for hybrid exoskeletons.

On the Volgenau site (https://volgenau.gmu.edu/news/latest-news)

·         The KidWind Challenge competition, held at Mason, allows students to explore renewable energy. Students from across Northern Virginia will participate in the KidWind Challenge competition at George Mason University on Saturday, March 25.

·         Tweet data mining tool could help emergency responders. Hemant Purohit, who studies human behavior on the web will be working with the Fairfax Fire and Rescue Department and a social media working group for emergency services at the Department of Homeland Security Science & Technology Directorate.

·         The Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE) awards Hadi El-Amine runner-up for the prestigious Pritsker Doctoral Dissertation Award (2017).

If you have suggestions for other stories, please submit them to Martha Bushong, [log in to unmask].

Photo of the Week

Cherry trees on the Fairfax Campus respond to the warm weekend weather, and burst into bloom.  (Photo by Alex Glen, Creative Services)

Upcoming Events at the Volgenau School

Whether you're looking for a specific event or browsing, our calendar lets you know what’s happening at Volgenau. Here is a sample of what’s coming in the next several weeks. For more information visit our calendar on the web. From this page you can share the event on social media, get updates, forward to friends, or save it to your own calendar.

March 27, 3:00 p.m. – Bioengineering Seminar, Dr. Ben Urban

March 28, 7:30 p.m. – ASCE Student Mixer

March 30, 11:30 a.m. – CEI Annual Meeting and Luncheon

April 3, 5:00 p.m. – Special Lecture, Aging Society, Special Needs and Robotics

April 7, 3:00 p.m. – ECE Distinguished Seminar, Treating Atoms and Molecules as Electrical Devices: From Nanoprocessors to Hypercapacitors

April 10, 1:00 p.m. – Examination of Wicked Problem-National Security Implications of the 4th Industrial Revolution

For information on getting your event posted via 25Live, please visit scheduling.gmu.edu.

21st Annual Washington Energy Policy Conference (Thu Apr 6)

Founders Hall, Mason Arlington Campus

Energy Reset? Conflicting Forces in the Energy Space

Keynote Speaker: Thad Hill, President and Chief Executive Officer, Calpine Corporation

Conference Fees:

George Mason University Faculty: $50

Student Members: $20/$10 no lunch

Student non-Members: $30/$20 no lunch

Registration closes April 5th at noon

For questions please contact:

Elaine Levin, NCAC-USAEE Vice President ([log in to unmask])  / 202-360-6046

Joel Hicks, George Mason University, Schar School of Policy and Government ([log in to unmask])  / 703-447-3820

Fenwick Library Publishing Workshop (Wed Apr 12, 3pm)

Springer Nature Publishing will be at Fenwick Library to do a publishing workshops for interested students and faculty.  The workshop will be on 4/12/17 from 3-5 PM in Fenwick Library Rm. 4010.

From the flyer:

Interested in publishing your scholarly work? Join the Libraries for an informative workshop on Wednesday, April 12, from 3 to 5 p.m., in Room 4010 Fenwick Library. Please register if you plan to attend: http://gmu.libcal.com/event/3234300

Collaborating with a publisher starts before your manuscript is submitted. Geared toward early career authors this workshop will explore a visual outline of the editorial and production process supporting the publication of your article or book, and discuss the benefits of electronic publishing’s global reach. The core of this workshop, conducted by Mitch Moulton from SpringerNature, will highlight the online tools and services freely available throughout the publishing process.

For more information, please contact Leigh Ann Skeen, [log in to unmask],  703-993-2673.

NSF CAREER Program Webinar (Mon May 22, 1pm)

You are subscribed to Events - All NSF Events for National Science Foundation Update. This information has recently been updated, and is now available.

NSF CAREER Program Webinar

May 22, 2017 1-3 pm

The NSF CAREER Coordinating Committee hosts a webinar to answer participants' questions about development and submission of proposals to the NSF Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER). The webinar will give participants the opportunity to interact with members of the NSF CAREER Coordinating Committee in a question-and-answer format.

ITS Security Liaisons Newsletter

To foster awareness of current IT security issues, ITS publishes a monthly newsletter on topics of interest to a general audience. The March newsletter is at:

    http://itsecurity.gmu.edu/SecurityLiaisons/upload/Marchnwsltr-2.pdf.

Please contact Jonathan Goldman ([log in to unmask]), the VSE Security Liaison, if you have any questions.

Funding Opportunity: 3D Visualization (Navy)

Sponsor:  Department of the Navy

Sponsor Number:  CRANBAA17-001

Deadline Date:  19-Apr-2017

Program URL: https://www.grants.gov/custom/viewOppDetails.jsp?oppId=292623

Synopsis:  NSWC Crane is interested in funding research of advanced 3D Visualization renderings from dynamic (moving) platforms.

Kai Zeng Receives Funding from NSF

Kai Zeng of the Electrical & Computer Engineering Department received $241K from the National Science Foundation for his project, “EARS: Collaborative Research: Intelligence Measure of Cognitive Radio Networks.”

Kathy Laskey, Abbas Zaidi, & Edward Huang Receive Funding from Innovative Decisions & IARPA

Kathy Laskey, Abbas Zaidi, & Edward Huang of the Systems Engineering & Operations Research Department and the Center for C4I & Cyber received $927K from Innovative Decisions, Inc. and IARPA for their project, “Interference Enterprise Multi-Modeling.”

Patent Awarded to Stephen Prior, Ken De Jong, & Jayshree Sarma

The U.S. Patent Office has awarded the following patent:

Modeling Long-term Host-pathogen Interactions

Patent No.: US 9,235,684 B2

Inventors: Stephen Prior (GMU), Ken De Jong (GMU), & Jayshree Sarma (GMU)

Date: January 12, 2016

Patent Awarded to Anup Ghosh, Angelos Stavrou, Kun Sun, & Jiang Wang

The U.S. Patent Office has awarded the following patent:

Hardware-Assisted Integrity Monitor

Patent No.: US 9,270,697 B2

Inventors: Anup Ghosh (Invincea), Angelos Stavrou (GMU), Kun Sun (GMU), and Jiang Wang (Arista Networks)

Date: February 23, 2016

Patent Awarded to Sushil Jajodia, Lingyu Wang, Steven Noel, & Anoop Singhal

The U.S. Patent Office has awarded the following patent:

K-Zero Day Safety

Patent No.: US 9,325,729 B2

Inventors: Sushil Jajodia (GMU), Lingyu Wang (Concordia University), Steven Noel (MITRE), and Anoop Singhal (NIST)

Date: April 26, 2016

Patent Awarded to Angelos Stavrou, Anup Ghosh, Sushil Jajodia, & Rhandi Martin

The U.S. Patent Office has awarded the following patent:

Malware Detector

Patent No.: US 9,531,747 B2

Inventors: Angelos Stavrou (GMU), Anup Ghosh (Invincea), Sushil Jajodia (GMU), and Rhandi Martin (Alarm.Com)

Date: December 27, 2016

Stephen G. Nash

Senior Associate Dean

Volgenau School of Engineering