Research and Development at the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
Veda Bharath, Ph.D. Physical Scientist
Office of Hazardous Materials Safety
PHMSA, Department of Transportation

Thursday March 23, 2017
2:00pm-3:00pm ENGR 1602

Abstract:
The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) is an administration within the Department of Transportation (DoT) that regulates the transportation of hazardous material (HAZMAT) in commerce within the United States. PHMSA is focused on the protection of people and the environment by advancing the safe transportation of energy products and other HAZMAT that are essential to our daily lives. To do this, the agency establishes national policy, sets and enforces standards, educates, and conducts research to prevent incidents and improve safety. We also prepare the public and first responders to reduce consequences if an incident does occur. PHMSA intends to further its mission of safety and environmental protection through innovation. At the cornerstone of this innovation is quality research which we believe is needed to craft sensible tools, regulations, and practices for the public. The continuous development of Research and Development (R&D) under the Office of Hazardous Materials Safety (OHMS) is an illustration of the commitment to foster and invest in emerging technology and innovative research. This presentation intends to highlight the history of PHMSA, the expansion of the R&D program, and the rollout of our Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for innovative research ideas at the start of 2017.

Speaker Bio:
Veda Bharath received his Bachelor's degrees in Electrical Engineering and Physics from South Carolina State University. Veda then went on to receive his Doctorate in Materials Science and Engineering (Physics minor) from North Carolina State University. He also completed a Department of Energy (DOE) postdoctoral fellowship in the department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at University of Maryland, College Park. At UMD he performed materials research with the Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC) and the Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC). Veda then served as a Senior Research Fellow in the Weapons and Materials Research Directorate (WMRD) of the U.S. Army Research Laboratory (USARL) where he worked on a range of materials projects for defense applications. Veda joined the Research and Development Program at Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)'s Office of Hazardous Materials Safety (OHMS) as a Physical Scientist and Program Manager.  Veda's current role is to facilitate the expansion of their R&D effort and develop new research partnerships to support hazardous material transportation for commerce without harm to people and the environment.