> On Mar 8, 2017, at 1:38 AM, Sean Luke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Generally if it ends with "-ed", it's meant to display information, not to let the user modify it.  This is the case for OrientedPortrayal2D: it just shows the orientation.  It's a convenience mechanism because drawing object orientation is really, really common and nontrivial compared to, say, changing color.
>
> The primary purpose of Oriented2D (and Scaled2D) is to provide a standard way that agents can indicate their orientation and size, and that such a thing exists, to interested objects.  Not sure why an interface like this would violate MVC, quite to the contrary.

Ah, I understand.  Right—makes sense.  Orientation can be viewed as an intrinsic property of the agent.  I’ve been using OrientedPortrayal2D to display information about the internal state of agents (e.g. energy level), rather than their direction of vision or of movement.  So for me, Oriented2D is nothing but a means to control a portrayal that displays information other than something direcational, but that goes beyond intended use and is arguably a kludge.

(I find it’s useful to display various sorts of information about agents during runs, so I often use both color and orientation.  I had a NetLogo simulation in which there were four variables displayed for each agent using, patch color, agent color, and the color of a second, oriented agent on top of the first one.  Fortunately, agents didn’t move around, or I would have had to coordinate moving two NetLogo agents and the patch info for each modeled agent.  In Mason, one embeds portrayals inside each other, and they all move together automatically when the underlying agent moves.)