From: Samuel J Lake [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:43 AM

Clark Nexsen, in partnership with Virginia Sea Grant, is pleased to announce the availability of a paid undergraduate or graduate research fellowship focused on coastal resiliency (ability to “bounce back”).  The fellowship is aimed at training Virginia’s exceptional students to become leaders in innovative, pre-disaster, resiliency design strategies.  Potential projects areas may include landscape architecture, architecture, or engineering/planning that directly link to on-going resiliency activities in coastal Virginia.  The fellowship is open to full-time students at any academic institution who have research experience or training in areas including, but not limited to: engineering, architect, landscape architect, resilient design, urban planning, and/or coastal flooding adaptation strategies.  The selected fellow will work alongside lead Architects and Engineers at Clark Nexsen’s Virginia Beach office.

Please help us spread the word by sharing this opportunity with your networks and forwarding it to any undergraduate or graduate students that you feel would be a great fit for this opportunity.

The deadline for applications is 5:00 pm on Tuesday, January 31, 2017.

A brief description is included below; for more information or to apply please visit: http://careers.clarknexsen.com/x/detail/a2kj64wwcrr3. All application must be submitted through Clark Nexsen’s Career Opportunities website.

                                    http://www.clarknexsen.com/wp-content/themes/clarknexsen/img/cnex_logo.png

Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.

Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Texas, and Washington, D.C. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.

Virginia Sea Grant - The mission of Virginia Sea Grant is to enhance the ecological, economic, and social sustainability of coastal and ocean communities and the ecosystem services they depend upon through university-based research, extension, education, and communication that provide science-based information to decision makers. Virginia Sea Grant serves the Commonwealth of Virginia, the region, and the nation.

Fellowship Description - Clark Nexsen is partnering with the Virginia Sea Grant and affiliated institutions to offer a paid summer research fellowship to a student focusing on coastal resiliency. The research student will be afforded the opportunity to partner with local institutions such as Virginia Sea Grant, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, the Hampton Roads Regional Planning Commission, the Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences, and Old Dominion University.  The purpose of this position is to encourage students to become leaders in innovative, pre-disaster, resiliency design strategies.  We seek to hire a Resiliency Research Student to work in our Virginia Beach, VA office beginning summer 2017 who will engage in a special research project related to resilient design or coastal flooding adaptation strategies.  The student will also be assigned to a design department relevant to their area of study and, in addition to a research project, will have active involvement in project design and documentation.

Applicants must attach to their resume and a brief abstract of a concept research project within the Hampton Roads region to be completed in Summer 2017. The abstract should provide the following:

·         Project Title and Name of Student

·         Project Keywords

·         Objectives. Summarize the objectives of the proposal, which may include the hypothesis to be tested. What with the project accomplish or determine? How will the project improve our understanding of the issue?

·         Methodology. Summarize the work to be done, highlight the methods necessary for conducting the research, such as standard models or techniques to be followed, specialized equipment needed, new or previously designed techniques resulting from other projects or related research.

·         Rationale. State the priorities or problems being addressed through the proposed research, including some relevant background information.

Additional information including responsibilities and detailed application instructions can be found here: http://careers.clarknexsen.com/x/detail/a2kj64wwcrr3.

Samuel J. Lake, Ph.D.

Fellowship & Research Program Coordinator

Virginia Sea Grant

Virginia Institute of Marine Science

College of William and Mary

Ph. (804) 684-7436

Fax (804) 684-7269

Email: [log in to unmask]

Mailing: PO Box 1346 Gloucester Pt., VA 23062

Shipping: 1375 Greate Road, Gloucester Pt., VA 23062

You can follow Virginia Sea Grant on Facebook! www.facebook.com/VirginiaSeaGrant/