Hello,

I am very happy to announce that the Mason University Libraries is now a member of the HathiTrust. Below is a message that came out to Library staff last night. I added the second image that shows how you will know if you are logged into the system. Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Best,

George

To check out the system, follow this link:

http://hathitrust.org

Then click the yellow "LOG IN"  button

Then select George Mason University from the dropdown list.

Once you work through the Shibboleth authentication screens, you'll activate your access to the benefits that are available only to affiliates of member institutions.   You'll know you've successfully logged in when you see your email address along the upper right of the browser window:

So, what are the membership benefits (from a user's perspective):

- Full viewing and downloading rights to public domain materials.   You can search the HathiTrust  website for these materials or use Primo -- metadata for the public domain content of HathiTrust has been in our Primo system for some time.   Now our users can, if they wish, download a complete volume as a PDF--quite an improvement over laboriously reading page after page with a web-browser.

- Ability to create public or private collections of materials.  These collections persist across sessions.

- Ability to access the Data API via the web interface provided by HathiTrust. More about computational analysis of the HathiTrust Digital library here:
https://www.hathitrust.org/htrc

You can read about other benefits of membership (particularly those that interest to us as a library) here:

https://www.hathitrust.org/features_benefits

and/or watch this 2015 webcast (which covers the HathiTrust in depth)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDfMrIt70As&feature=youtu.be

George D. Oberle III Ph.D.
History Librarian

Research Services