Hello all -

Foteini, Angelos and I are going to establish a weekly reading group and seminar on computer security and cryptography.  If you're interested, please sign up for the mailing list here:  https://groups.google.com/d/forum/gmu-crypto-and-security-reading-group.  We will start planning the logistics early next week.  All future emails will go to that list.

We hope to occasionally have external speakers visit and give talks.  We will likely spam the department to announce these, so there is no need to join the mailing list if that is your only interest.

Foteini and I went through two recent conferences (Usenix security '16 and CCS '16) and compiled a list of papers that we'd be interested to read.  To give you a sense of what you might learn about if you attend, here are some of the topics of those papers.  We envision picking 1-2 of these topics for the semester, and learning about those topics in depth, though we're open to other ways of organizing this.   If we stick with that vision, we might also begin each topic with a high level tutorial in order to bring people up to speed.

  *   Searchable encryption (and encrypted database search)
  *   Blockchains
  *   Tor
  *   Cloud security
  *   Password security
  *   Differential privacy

Thanks!  Please join the mailing list if this is of interest to you, and we'll take the organizing from there.

Dov