[A second attempt to send this, since the first version omitted the announcements. SGN]
I received the announcements below from Kerry Bolognese, Mason's Director of Federal Relations.

The first announcement is for a MURI networking event.  Registration is required, and these events often fill up quickly, so register now if you are interested.

The other two announcements may also be of interest to VSE faculty.  Stephen

Muri Program Review - DOD’s Basic Research Office circulated an announcement for the 2016 Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative (MURI) program review, August 22-23.  The offices says that this will likely be a good networking event as well as learning experience for faculty who want to know what kind of proposals end up winning MURI awards. The event will be in Arlington, at the Executive Conference room near the Ballston Metro station, DARPA, and ONR.  The review will include MURI projects initiated as a result of the 2014 MURI FOA. You and your colleagues are welcome to attend and welcome to share the information with anyone you think would be interested. Prospective attendees are asked to register at the website: http://www.sa-meetings.com/MURI_August2016  Web ID: MURI  Password: Arlington

NSF FAQ on Overtime Rule - The National Science Foundation released an FAQ document on its implementation of Dept. of Labor’s overtime rule.  Among the questions it addresses are the following: What does the FLSA final overtime rule mean for postdoctoral researchers on NSF-funded projects? I am a postdoctoral researcher on a standard NSF research grant. Will NSF increase my salary? I am a grantee - can I re-budget an existing award in order to comply with the final overtime rule? The new rule goes into effect on December 1, 2016 - when can an NSF grantee re-budget as a result of the FLSA final overtime rule? Would re-budgeting from another budget category, e.g., materials and supplies, to cover the increased cost of a postdoctoral researcher violate NSF’s cost sharing policy? What if there is not enough money left in the budget to comply with the final overtime rule? For the FAQ see http://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/faqs/flsa_faqs.pdf

Advanced Wireless Research - On July 15, the White House announced a new initiative for Advanced Wireless Research.  The Initiative is intended to result in super-fast, ultra-low latency, high-capacity networks which are up to 100 times faster than what is available today.  The announcement cited a lead role by the NSF in investing up to $400 million over the next 7 years in academic research that can utilize advanced wireless testing platforms developed by private-public partnerships. The NSF has announced the establishment of a Platforms for Advanced Wireless Research (PAWR) Project Office to manage the development of these platforms and carry out fundamental research on communications technologies, networking architectures and new applications.  For more information on the White House Initiative: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/07/15/fact-sheet-administration-announces-advanced-wireless-research  For the NSF Announcement: http://nsf.gov/cise/advancedwireless/

Stephen G. Nash
Senior Associate Dean
Volgenau School of Engineering
George Mason University