[A second attempt to send this, since the first version omitted the
announcements. SGN]
I received the announcements below from Kerry Bolognese, Mason's
Director of Federal Relations.

The first announcement is for a MURI networking event.  Registration is
required, and these events often fill up quickly, so register now if you
are interested.

The other two announcements may also be of interest to VSE faculty. Stephen

*Muri Program Review*- DOD’s Basic Research Office circulated an
announcement for the 2016 Multidisciplinary University Research
Initiative (MURI) program review, August 22-23.  The offices says that
this will likely be a good networking event as well as learning
experience for faculty who want to know what kind of proposals end up
winning MURI awards. The event will be in Arlington, at the Executive
Conference room near the Ballston Metro station, DARPA, and
ONR.The review will include MURI projects initiated as a result of the
2014 MURI FOA. You and your colleagues are welcome to attend and welcome
to share the information with anyone you think would be interested.
Prospective attendees are asked to register at the website:
http://www.sa-meetings.com/MURI_August2016Web ID: MURIPassword: Arlington

*NSF FAQ on Overtime Rule*- The National Science Foundation released an
FAQ document on its implementation of Dept. of Labor’s overtime
rule.Among the questions it addresses are the following: What does the
FLSA final overtime rule mean for postdoctoral researchers on NSF-funded
projects? I am a postdoctoral researcher on a standard NSF research
grant. Will NSF increase my salary? I am a grantee - can I re-budget an
existing award in order to comply with the final overtime rule? The new
rule goes into effect on December 1, 2016 - when can an NSF grantee
re-budget as a result of the FLSA final overtime rule? Would
re-budgeting from another budget category, e.g., materials and supplies,
to cover the increased cost of a postdoctoral researcher violate NSF’s
cost sharing policy? What if there is not enough money left in the
budget to comply with the final overtime rule? For the FAQ see
http://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/faqs/flsa_faqs.pdf

*Advanced Wireless Research*- On July 15, the White House announced a
new initiative for Advanced Wireless Research.The Initiative is intended
to result in super-fast, ultra-low latency, high-capacity networks which
are up to 100 times faster than what is available today.  The
announcement cited a lead role by the NSF in investing up to $400
million over the next 7 years in academic research that can utilize
advanced wireless testing platforms developed by private-public
partnerships. The NSF has announced the establishment of a /Platforms
for Advanced Wireless Research (PAWR) Project Office/ to manage the
development of these platforms and carry out fundamental research on
communications technologies, networking architectures and new
applications. For more information on the White House Initiative:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/07/15/fact-sheet-administration-announces-advanced-wireless-researchFor
the NSF Announcement: http://nsf.gov/cise/advancedwireless/

Stephen G. Nash
Senior Associate Dean