Hello -

I'm writing to encourage students to sign up for my course this Fall.

*What I will cover:*  The course will provide an introduction to modern
cryptography.  I will cover many practical topics, such as how to
correctly use block ciphers and hash functions for the most common
tasks: encryption and digital signatures.  In addition, modern
cryptography allows us to do so much more!  In the second part of the
course, I intend to cover new topics in the field, such as block chains,
data sanitization through differential privacy, and searching encrypted
databases.

*Why you should care:* Cryptography used to be about sending hidden
messages; today it is about protecting our data.  With more and more of
our data at stake, it is important to understand what can be done to
protect it, and to recognize the specifics of the trade-off between
securing our data and utilizing it.  Cryptography is something we
already use all the time, but as the ways in which we use it - and fail
to use it - rapidly increase, it becomes more important that we don't
take it for granted.  Additionally, the intersection of cryptography
with other fields is growing rapidly. In any computational task that
deals with user data, you might ask whether your data could be made more
secure.

*Course Details:*  I am interested in understanding security from a
provable stand-point, which means that we will focus on correctly
defining security for specific tasks, and proving that a given protocol
meets the definitions.   Therefore, there won't be any programming
assignments, but rather 5-6 problem sets in which students demonstrate
an understanding of what it means to prove that a construction is (or
isn't) secure under certain stated assumptions about the adversary.
There is no formal prerequisite, and I will teach everything that is
needed, but a good course to have taken prior to this one is CS600.
Familiarity with basic probability theory and an understanding of how to
formally prove that one computational problem reduces to another will be
very helpful.  The textbook for this course is this one:
http://magik.gmu.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=3695178

Please let me know if you have questions, and please enroll!

Dov Gordon