Well for starters you only really care about the serializable interface if
you are planning on writing objects to file and back (I think it's a
necessary for MASON checkpointing, but I could be wrong about that).
The idea is that if you implement Serializable (and if you extend Mason
Geometry you do) is that you need to make sure all the fields of your Agent
class are also serializable (writable to file). This is a bit confusing
since Serializable is really a marker interface for some behind the curtain
java stuff rather than your classic method interfaces.

There is a long description of what's needed here:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/platform/serialization/spec/serial-arch.html#4176

In practice however I didn't mean to scare anyone, this is really only
needed when you are looking to generate persistent objects