The Public Sociology Association at George Mason University is holding their 5th annual conference "Structures of Violence: Engaging the Public Imagination" and they want your papers!

Submissions must be a maximum of 500-words and emailed to [log in to unmask] by February 15, 2016

Crossing multiple spheres of life, the public imagination creates new possibilities for action. A public imagination against structures of violence recognizes that violence exists in multiple forms and is not experienced universally.

This year we seek papers that confront structures of violence in an effort to engage the public imagination. We encourage submissions from outside of academia and from related disciplines that speak to the conference theme and/or the general project of public sociology.

Public sociology is an approach to the study of social problems and structures that transcends the boundaries of academia to engage the public in discourse, political and institutional change, and social empowerment. Public sociologists, in collaboration with activists and policymakers, often turn their lens towards a broad range of public concerns that are rooted in social injustices and inequalities.

Possible Questions:

  *   What does engaging the public imagination look like? How can we engage multiple actors in discourse against structures of violence?

  *   In the face of violence (particularly, instances provoking a collective response) how can we react in ways that prevent its intensification? How can pausing before reacting shape collective response?

  *   What explains the persistent social inequality between different groups, particularly over time? Is the 'utopian' society achievable? Is violence a necessary feature of social life and/or social transformation?

  *   As a social science, what is the role of public sociology in the policy process as it pertains to structures of violence?

 Submission: A maximum 500-word abstract of proposed presentations should be submitted electronically to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, no later than February 15, 2016.

Please visit our Website: https://gmupublicsoci.wordpress.com/2016-conference/

Follow us on Facebook: GMU Public Sociology Association

Women & Gender Studies Center
MSN 5B6
Johnson Center 240K
703.993.2896