Dear all,

[apologies if you receive multiple posting]

Please mark your calendar.
Date: 02/26/2016

Time: 11:00 AM - noon

Venue: Engineering Building 4201

Speaker: Prof. Zhenkai Liang

Title: Automatic Generation of Data-Oriented Exploits

***************************************

Songqing

Abstract
As defense solutions against control-flow hijacking attacks gain wide
deployment, control-oriented exploits from memory errors become difficult.
As an alternative, attacks targeting non-control data do not require
diverting the application’s control flow during an attack. Although it
is known that such data-oriented attacks can mount significant damage, no
systematic methods to automatically construct them from memory errors have
been developed. In this work, we develop a new technique called data-flow
stitching, which systematically finds ways to join data flows in the
program to generate data-oriented exploits. We build a prototype embodying
our technique in a tool called FLOWSTITCH that works directly on Windows
and Linux binaries. In our experiments, we find that FLOWSTITCH
automatically constructs 16 previously unknown and three known
data-oriented attacks from eight real-world vulnerable programs. All the
automatically-crafted exploits respect fine-grained CFI and DEP
constraints, and 10 out of the 19 exploits work with standard ASLR
defenses enabled. The constructed exploits can cause significant damage,
such as disclosure of sensitive information (e.g., passwords and
encryption keys) and escalation of privilege.

Speaker Bio
Zhenkai Liang is an Associate Professor of the School of Computing,
National University of Singapore. His main research interests are in
system and software security, web security, mobile security, and program
analysis. He has served as the technical program committee members of many
system security conferences, including the ACM Conference on Computer and
Communications Security (CCS), USENIX Security Symposium and the Network
and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS). He is also an associate
editor of the IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing. As a
co-author, he received the Best Paper Award in ICECCS 2014, the Best Paper
Award in W2SP 2014, the ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper Award at ESEC/FSE
2009, the Best Paper Award at USENIX Security Symposium 2007, and the
Outstanding Paper Award at ACSAC 2003.  He also won the Annual Teaching
Excellence Award of NUS in 2014 and 2015.  He received his Ph.D. degree in
Computer Science from Stony Brook University in 2006, and B.S. degrees in
Computer Science and Economics from Peking University in 1999.