From: Folk Writers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Zeitlin
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2016 12:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Come to Creative Writing panel at AFS!!

Hi Peggy and Everyone,

As I mentioned at our meeting at AFS awhile back, I have been working on a book called The Poetry of Everyday Life which will be out before AFS from Cornell.  The book is really about the intersection of folklore and creative writing, and I'm wondering if there might be a panel that addresses this at AFS.  Here is an informal write up about the book which could be the theme of a panel.  Let me know if this sparks any possibilities.  Hope you're all doing well.   Steve

Part memoir, part essay, and partly a guide to maximizing your capacity for artistic expression, The Poetry of Everyday Life taps into the artistic side of what we often take for granted: the stories we tell, the people we love, the sports and games we play, the metaphors used by scientists, even our sex lives. Zeitlin explores how poems serve us in daily life, describing his family’s annual “poetry night,” as well as the way poems are used in crisis situations: to serve people with AIDS, and as a form of healing and remembrance after September 11.  The book brings together the folklorist and the poet’s perspectives: it combines a folkloric approach that strives to document the creative expressions of a culture, with a creative-writing approach, which addresses our personal creativity. “This convergence of poetry and folklore,” he suggests, “gives birth to something new: a new way of seeing ourselves, and a new way of being in the world.”  Written with humor and insight, the book introduces readers to the many eccentric and visionary characters Zeitlin has met in his career as a folklorist.  Covering topics from ping pong to cave paintings, The Poetry of Everyday Life seeks to expand your consciousness of the beauty in your own world—and to inspire you to draw on words and other forms of creative expression to acknowledge and share this heightened awareness. To live a creative life is the best way to engage with the beauty of the everyday.

Steve Zeitlin

Executive Director

City Lore

56 E. First Street
New York, NY 10003

Tel. 212-529-1955, x 11

Let my name be recalled with laughter, or not at all.
                            ~Sholem Aleichem