Hi Everyone,

Happy Almost End of Semester! A few notes here:

·         Registration in Progress

·         EDCI 777 requests in progress (ELED and ESL)

·         Spring Graduation

·         Blackboard Org is coming for Spring semester

·         Winter Break

·         Job Postings

·         Local Job Fair

Registration

Spring registration is currently in progress. If you are planning to take classes and have not submitted your online request, here is what you need to know:

·          Submit an online registration request at https://fasttrain.gmu.edu/academics/registration-and-programming-forms  All registration requests must be received in this format

·          If your planning sheet is more than 2 semesters old OR you have made changes to your plan, please submit an updated form via email to me.

·          If you have not taken classes for 2 semesters or more, we will need a re-enrollment form and tuition application before you can be registered: http://registrar.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/GRE.pdf

·          Allow 3-5 business days for processing- you will receive an email confirmation that you have been registered to your Mason account. We will not send to any other accounts.

EDCI 777 requests in progress (ELED and ESL)

I am in the process of working through EDCI 777 requests for spring/summer. If you are at the point where you are ready to take your last class(es), please make your request via my previous instructions by February 1.

Spring 2016 Graduation

If you are planning to graduate from your certificate or M.Ed. program in Spring 2016, the graduation application is currently open. Please apply for graduation via Patriot Web: http://registrar.gmu.edu/students/graduation/process/  In order to be eligible to submit an application, you must have all degree requirements complete by May 2016.  (EDCI 777 students, you are summer or fall grads, info coming later)

Blackboard Organization is Coming January 2016

For the Spring 2016 semester, I will be including everyone in an International Cohort Blackboard organization. This resource will replace the listserve we are currently using and serve as a hub for academic forms, information, manuals, and announcements.  The website will also be redesigned and many of those resources will be posted into blackboard. I will be sending out test messages early in the semester to ensure everyone is transitioned from the listserve and then the current student serves will be closed. BB orgs require using your Mason address, so please start preparing for the transition by regularly checking your mason account.

Winter Break- Service Outage

A reminder the university will be closed December 19-January 3 in observance of winter break. The staff will not be available by email or phone during this time because we will all be spending some much needed quality time with our families!  If you have any questions, we will be here through the 18th, so please get in touch with us now.  We will be back on January 4th  and will answer any pending inquiries as quickly as possible. J  We wish you a wonderful close to your semester and  Happy Winter Break!!!!!!  Enjoy and be safe.

Job Postings and Local Job Fair Information

I have a few odds and ends in terms of job postings:

·          Bhutan, Canada attached.

IB Positions: Point to Point have a number of teaching vacancies in IB schools across Asia. We are looking for teachers with IB certification to take on one and two year contracts starting in August 2016.  These contracts are in schools throughout Japan and Hong Kong. The packages includes housing, medical, flights and monthly pay. For more information about the schools and locations, email [log in to unmask]

FCPS Fair: On the off chance you are interested in working in the NOVA area:

Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS), located in Northern Virginia, is the nation’s 10th largest public school system, serving more than 187,000 students in the most populous jurisdiction in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.  Our diverse student body is educated in 196 schools and centers.  We are committed to growing and developing our workforce and offering robust benefits packages and competitive salaries.

We are preparing for the next hiring season, and we want you to be aware of our plans for upcoming recruitment events.

FCPS will host a specialty area instructional job fair on Saturday, February 13, 2016 (Inclement weather dates:  February 20 and 27).

Specialty Areas:  Audiologist, English as a Second Language, General Ed. Grades 4-6, Immersion* (Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Spanish), Latin, Librarian, Mathematics, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Physics, Reading, School Counseling, Spanish, Special Education, Speech-Language Pathologist, and Technology Education

(*Fluent speakers with elementary education preK-6 endorsement or dual endorsed in World Language preK-12 and elementary education preK-6)

At the event, we will interview prescreened candidates and in some cases, we will extend job offers.  In order to be considered for an interview opportunity at our job fair, interested students from your school will need to apply for an instructional position with FCPS at the following website:  http://careers.fcps.edu/tg_instructional.htmApplications are open for the 2016-2017 school year!  FCPS instructional job fair interviews will be by invitation only.

Please note that student teachers and interns, placed in FCPS, are exempt from attending our job fair as their school principals will complete an evaluation of their performance in lieu of an interview at our job fair.  However, student teachers and interns will need to complete an online application with FCPS to be considered for employment.

Below are a few quick links to our web pages.  You will find that the FCPS Home Page is a great place to explore for other information about our school system.

Applicant information page

http://www.fcps.edu/employment/

Current vacancies – December graduates may apply for 2015-2016 positions

https://careers.fcps.edu/vl/vacancy.htm

Critical Fields for 2016-2017 School Year

http://www.fcps.edu/employment/critical_fields.shtml