No images? View Online

October 20, 2015

Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Google+ Pinterest Addthis

SAVE THE DATE - 2ND INTERNATIONAL CAFE
OCOTBER 28, 12PM-2PM, SUB I, PATRIOTS LOUNGE

Mason Storytellers Abroad

This fall semester we welcome Brooke Finnicum, a sophomore Communication major from Delaware, to our social media team in the Study Abroad office. Brooke spent her second freshman semester at Mason Korea and agreed to share some of her most memorable experiences in a series of five short articles. Today we invite you to read her mouth-watering first feature ... Food in South Korea.

Photo: Brooke Finnicum and friends enjoying Korean barbecue

Food in South Korea

The mouth-watering smell of street food fills the streets of Seoul, South Korea. A multitude of food stands line the sidewalk, alluring customers with sight and smell of delicious foods such as dokbokki, spicy rice cakes slathered in a red pepper paste sauce. Odeng, fish cakes that sit in a delicious broth and are skewered on a stick, is another favorite for university students on a budget.

Odeng often sells for 500 won which is equivalent to about 43 cents in US dollars. Street food is a favorite of native Koreans and foreign visitors alike. It is a fun and affordable way to munch on snacks while out and about in the city.

Edae, located next to Ewha Women’s University and only one subway stop away from Yonsei University, is famous for its abundance of street food and nightlife.

If you’re looking for a heartier meal, Korean BBQs are a delicious solution. You can grill beef, chicken, pork, and other types of meat on a grill that is built into the table itself. At Korean BBQ, expect to get a lot of side dishes for free. Known as banchan, these free side dishes include kimchi, bean sprouts, and stir fried fish cakes ... among many others.

Ordering food is very common in Korea - students often order fried chicken and pizza! Korea has a unique selection of toppings and types of pizza. Potato pizza is a popular option and is my personal favorite. Other types include chicken BBQ pizza, bulgogi pizza, and sweet potato pizza.

Korean food is mainly based on rice, vegetables, and meat and offers many healthy options when eating out. In South Korea, asking “Have you eaten?” is similar to asking “How are you?” or “Are you well?” In South Korean culture, eating well-balanced meals is very important for one’s health. You won’t be disappointed with the variety of delicious foods that will please your palette when visiting this wonderful country.

About Brooke

Brooke Finnicum is a sophomore Communication major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Tourism and Events Management. During high school, Brooke was an exchange student in Seoul, South Korea for two months through a critical language scholarship program. Her passion for Korean culture and language led to her to studying abroad in South Korea again – this time at Mason Korea during her spring semester as a freshman. She enjoyed immersing herself within the Korean culture and traveling throughout the country. She hopes to become fluent in Korean someday and incorporate her language skill within her career.

Events Next Week

You receive this message because you are subscribed to the Mason Study Abroad newsletter 'The Patriot Traveler.' If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, please unsubscribe below.

Quick Links

Resources

Unsubscribe | Home | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr