If you're looking to integrate the tools into a larger application like,
say, a web-app, then I agree that piping has an ad-hoc feel to it.  We
usually just need to do experiments that don't involve end users, so piping
unix tools together is par for the course.  We also could have used sockets
or JNI if we wanted more direct inter-process communication.

I usually associate integration frameworks like the ones you mention as
being primarily concerned with integrating complex *data* across a large
number of applications with unique and intricate APIs.  I'm not clear on
how this will help you integrate ECJ with various simulators, since ECJ
will probably just treat your simulator as a single library call that
computes a single fitness value.

Perhaps you are more concerned about the problem of transferring statistics
information that ECJ collects on the EA's behavior back *out* into your
other application?

Siggy