Russell,

Just how dynamically do you specify your agents' capabilities?

My first instinct is to borrow ECJ's parameter mechanism and to use a variant of the Strategy pattern, rather than a fully-fledged Factory.

For example:

myagent = org.russellisawesome.MyAgent
myagent.numAbilities = 4
myagent.ability.0 = org.russellisawesome.abilities.AbilityW
myagent.ability.1 = org.russellisawesome.abilities.AbilityX
myagent.ability.2 = org.russellisawesome.abilities.AbilityY
myagent.ability.2.speed = 9000
myagent.ability.2.mileage = 42
myagent.ability.3 = org.russellisawesome.abilities.AbilityZ

In my search for a good, general experiment framework that I can invest in up front to make things easier down the road, I tried several different design patterns, but ended up finding that an ECJ-style parameter language like this solved all my needs.  It allows me to keep everything very loosely coupled and makes it easy to write unit tests (since the parameter files can be used as a dependency injection framework).

I've implemented my own version of it so I could add more features, turning it into more of a domain-specific language than a configuration file.

I've never used parameters much for ABMs, though, not sure where the limitations lie.

Siggy