Okay, attached is a diff patch and JUnit tests for a version of
FloatVectorSpecies that implements my idea of what it would mean to
automagically scale the stdev.

The patch does two things:

   1. Fixes an issue with setting gene-specific mutation parameters.
   Before, if you attempted to set a gene-specific mutation parameter in the
   following way, it would be ignored:
   pop.subpop.0.species.mutation-type =    gauss
   pop.subpop.0.species.mutation-stdev =   0.1
   pop.subpop.0.species.mutation-stdev.0 =   0.5

   You had to add this redundant line to get the gene-specific value to
   register:

   pop.subpop.0.species.mutation-type.0 =   gauss

   Now this line is optional.

   2. Adds a Boolean parameter named "mutation-stdev-scale-to-range" for
   toggling scaling at the global, gene or segment level.  When it's set to
   true, the stdev parameter is interpreted as a *relative* standard
   deviation (i.e. the value of stdev is replaced with stdev*(max-gene -
   min-gene).  If it's set to false or omitted, the behavior is the same as
   the original.

So this is one way of doing it.  With this feature I don't have to
hand-calculate reasonable standard deviations if I don't want to. I can
tweak the stdev for all the parameters by changing one number.

Now, in my personal projects, I prefer to do things a different way:  I
augment my parameter language so that no additional Java code is necessary
for this kind of thing.  I would allow expressions made up of references to
other parameters, so my settings for each gene would look like this:

pop.subpop.0.species.stdev = 0.1

pop.subpop.0.species.min-gene.0 = 0
pop.subpop.0.species.max-gene.0 = 100
pop.subpop.0.species.stdev.0 =
$(%pop.subpop.0.species.stdev*(%pop.subpop.0.species.max-gene.0 -
%pop.subpop.0.species.min-gene.0))

pop.subpop.0.species.min-gene.1 = 2
pop.subpop.0.species.max-gene.1 = 3
pop.subpop.0.species.stdev.1 =
$(%pop.subpop.0.species.stdev*(%pop.subpop.0.species.max-gene.1 -
%pop.subpop.0.species.min-gene.1))

Here the scaling is done right in the parameter specification.  It makes
for a messier properties file, but would allow users to hand-specify what
ever kind of scaling they want for this or other parameters.

Allowing references and arithmetic expressions in the parameter language
would be a major change to ECJ, though.  There are pros and cons to
blurring the line between a parameters file and a declarative programming
language.

Siggy