SAVE THE DATE and RSVP TODAY!!!

The Freedom and Learning Forum featuring President Ángel Cabrera and Yoani Sánchez (Executive Director of 14ymedio) will take place on Tuesday, March 17th from 4:30pm-6:00pm in The Hub, Ballroom.  Yoani Sanchez is the Executive Director for 14ymedio, an acclaimed Cuban blogger, journalist and founder of 14ymedio, Cuba’s first independent daily digital news outlet. She is currently the Yahoo! Fellow at Georgetown University in Washington, DC.  For more information about Yoani Sánchez and the Freedom and Learning Forum and to RSVP, visit: http://lead.gmu.edu/leadership-programs/freedom-and-learning-forum/.

See below for more information:

On behalf of the Leadership Education and Development Office, we invite you to attend the Freedom and Learning Forum (in partnership with the Office of the President) on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 from 4:30pm-6:00pm in the Hub, Ballroom.  The Freedom and Learning Forum at George Mason University allows for the campus community to engage in an interactive dialogue series with the University President, Dr. Ángel Cabrera and extraordinary thought leaders from around the world.  In support of our University’s motto, “Freedom and Learning”, the forum connects our academic mission with the work of our namesake, American Patriot, Founding Father and author of the Bill of Rights, George Mason. The program emphasizes that freedom and learning are mutually interdependent and that one cannot happen without the other. Participants will have an opportunity to hear personal leadership stories and life experiences from our guest leaders as Dr. Cabrera hosts this engaging and enlightening series.

We are pleased to share with that this semester’s featured guest leader at the Freedom and Learning Forum is Yoani Sánchez, Executive Director for 14ymedio. A University of Havana graduate in Philology, she emigrated to Switzerland in 2002 to build a new life for herself and her family. Two years later, she returned to Havana, promising herself to live there as a free person. In 2007, she began Generation Y, her personal blog about daily life in Cuba. She has been arrested and detained by the Cuban government for starting her activities. In 2009 U.S. President Barack Obama wrote that her blog “provides the world a unique window into the realities of daily life in Cuba” and applauded her efforts to “empower fellow Cubans to express themselves through the use of technology.” TIME magazine listed her as one of the World’s 100 Most Influential People, stating that “under the nose of a regime that has never tolerated dissent, Sánchez has practiced what paper-bound journalists in her country cannot: freedom of speech.” Foreign Policy magazine has named her one of the Top 100 Global Thinkers.  In May of 2014, Sánchez combined her passion for journalism and digital media to launch14ymedio, Cuba first independent daily digital news outlet. It serves as a fresh voice in the island, with exclusive national news, highlighting not only political and economic developments but also social and cultural activities.

She has received much international recognition for her work, including the Ortega y Gasset Prize, Spain’s highest award for digital journalism; the Maria Moors Cabot Prize from Columbia University; the World Press Freedom Hero Award from the International Press Institute; and the Prince Claus Award from the Netherlands.

The Freedom and Learning Forum featuring President Ángel Cabrera and Yoani Sánchez will take place on Tuesday, March 17th from 4:30pm-6:00pm in The Hub, Ballroom. To RSVP for the Freedom and Learning Forum on March 17th with President Ángel Cabrera and Yoani Sánchez, please visit: http://lead.gmu.edu/leadership-programs/freedom-and-learning-forum/For questions, please contact the LEAD Office at 703-993-4186 or via email at [log in to unmask]

Joyce Rose
Executive Assistant to Dean Ball
Nguyen Engineering Building, Suite 5100

4400 University Drive, MS 4A3