FYI, on behalf of Dr. Blaisten-Barojas:

——————————————————————————————————
COLLOQUIUM OF THE COMPUTATIONAL MATERIALS SCIENCE CENTER AND THE SCHOOL OF PHYSICS, ASTRONOMY, & COMPUTATIONAL SCIENCES (CSI 898-Sec 001) ——————————————————————————————————
                           Phase Behavior of Asphaltenes
                                   Boris Veytsman Computational Materials Science Center, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Crude oil, bitumen, asphalts are complex systems with liquid and solid parts.
They have rich kinetics and phase behavior. The understanding of asphalts is important for many applications, including recycling of old asphalt roofs for highway construction. Often the recycled asphalt is too brittle. This is ultimately caused by phase separation of asphalt. We developed a simplified model for asphalts as liquid substrate with solid inclusions (asphaltenes). Asphaltenes can associate and dissociate depending on their concentration and temperature. This model has phase transition which we interpret as the precipitation of solid phase.
The model has only two parameters: association constant and molecular weight of a "monomer". The resulting phase diagram agrees with the experimental data.

                                  February 16, 2015
                                         4:30 pm
                                Exploratory Hall, room 3301, Fairfax Campus

Refreshments will be served at 4:15 PM.
Find the schedule at http://www.cmasc.gmu.edu/seminars.htm