-CALL FOR PAPERS-

The University of Georgia Graduate Student Conference

Global Capitalism and the Global South

May 14-16, 2015

Zell B. Miller Learning Center-University of Georgia at Athens

The study of capitalism has seen a resurgence in academia. New ways of looking at old questions have challenged the established narratives between capital and social relationships. The University of Georgia Graduate Student Conference on Global Capitalism and the Global South will enable junior scholars to explore capitalism as a category of historical analysis.

The Global Capitalism Initiative and the UGA History Department invite graduate students to submit papers that engage with capitalism in its many forms. We especially encourage submissions that pertain to the global South, explore how capitalism has shifted with the growth of the world economy, or connect capitalism to any historiographical or geopolitical subfield.

Some suggested themes include:

             1. Business & Finance                         6. Slavery & Race

            2. Environmental & Agricultural         7. Labor & Labor Relations

            3. Gender & Sexuality                          8. Political Economy

            4. Intellectual                                        9. Global & Regional Trade

            5. Digital History                                 10. State, Citizenship, & Migration

This conference will provide breakfast and lunch for each day, hotel accommodations for up to 6 out-of-state students, and airport transportation.  Our keynote speaker will be Dr. Woody Holton, the McCausland Professor of History at the University of South Carolina. For more information, please visit our website at capitalism.uga.edu<http://capitalism.uga.edu/>.

Graduate students at any phase in their academic careers are welcome to apply. To complete a paper proposal, please email a 250-word abstract and current CV to the conference committee at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

The deadline for submission is February 23, 2015.

Sincerely,

Alexander Stephens

MA Student / Graduate Teaching Assistant

UGA Department of History