Speaker: Sunitha Thummala
Title: An Evaluation of the Effectiveness of the Atomic Section Model
Date/Time: September, 9/17/2014 @ 11am
Location: room 3507, Nguyen Engineering Building

Abstract: Society increasingly depends on web applications for business, work, and pleasure. As the use of web applications continues to increase, the number of failures, some minor and some major, continues to grow. A significant problem is that we still have relatively weak abilities to test web applications, and often rely on informal, ad-hoc, and ineffective techniques. A key driver to this problem is that web applications use novel technologies, including control structures that are not available in traditional software, and new state handling techniques, including new variable scopes. Traditional testing techniques do not adequately model or test these novel technologies. The atomic section model (ASM), which was introduced in a previous paper, models these novel technologies to support design, analysis, and testing. In this talk, we will present the results of an empirical study that was used to evaluate the effectiveness of the ASM to design tests. We will also discuss WASP (Web Atomic Section Project), a tool which extracts the ASM from the implementation and supports various test criteria.

Bio: Sunitha Thummala is a Ph.D. student in the IT Department of Volgenau School of Engineering. She received her Master's degree in Software Engineering from George Mason University in 2013. Her research interests are in the areas of model based testing and web applications.

Sam Malek, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Computer Science Department
George Mason University