For what it's worth, MASON development requires iText, jcommon, jmf, and jfreechart.  The Java3D jar files (j3dcore, j3dutils, vecmath, etc.) are not needed if you don't want to do 3D simulation -- in that case, just delete the display3d and portrayal3d directories from MASON.

In fact, you don't need any of these jar files to develop with MASON: you can just build MASON's jar file (if you can't do it, I can help out) and include that.  But iText, jcommon, jmf, and jfreechart add a lot of nice functionality.

Sean