It has been a while since I last used ECJ. I could be totally wrong.

I remember there is a post-evaluation stage for each generation in the evolution. If I am going to divide all fitness values by the biggest one. I will do it in this post-evaluation stage.

This post-evaluation stage is probably between the evaluation stage (where the fitness are calculated) and the breeding stage (where crossover/mutation happens).