Dear Students,

FYI, there's a technical seminar from the IEEE Society you might be interested in attending:

Radu Balan Tech Series

6:30PM to 8:00PM
Location: Potomac Institute of Policy Studies
Suite 200 M Level
Ballston Metro
Directions: http://www.potomacinstitute.org/contact-us/direction.html

Title: OPTIMAL BEAM PATTERN DESIGN FOR VERY LARGE SENSOR ARRAYS WITH SPARSE SAMPLING
Abstract: The main goal of this work is to adaptively employ a large set of microphone sensors distributed in multiple dimensions to scan an acoustic field. Processing data from a large set of sensors will necessarily involve intelligent definition of suitable subsets of sensors active at various times. This paper presents a novel method for optimal beam pattern design for large scale sensor arrays using convex and non-convex optimization techniques to define optimal subsets of sensors capable to select a target location while suppressing a large number of interferences. The first of two optimization techniques we present, uses a LASSO type approach to convexify the corresponding combinatorial optimization problem. The second approach employs simulated annealing to search for optimal solutions with a fixed size subset of active sensors. Our numerical simulations show that for scenarios of practical interest, the convex optimization solution is almost optimal.

Patricia Sahs
Academic Programs Coordinator
4400 University Drive, MS 1G5
George Mason University