Notice and Invitation
Oral Defense of Doctoral Dissertation

Department of Statistics
Volgenau School of Engineering, George Mason University

Mengdie Yuan

Bachelor of Science, Statistics, University of Science and Technology of China, 2009
Master of Science, Statistical Science, George Mason University, 2011

Semiparametric Regression Analysis of Survival and Longitudinal Data

Monday, April 28th, 2014

10:30 AM to 12:30 PM
The Nguyen Engineering Building, Room 3507

All are invited to attend.

Committee
Guoqing Diao, Chair
Jacqueline Hughes-Oliver

Anand Vidyashankar
Ali Weinstein

Abstract

The proportional odds model is a popular model in survival analysis. The assumption of constant odds ratios over time in the proportional odds model, however, is often violated in many applications. We propose a novel semiparametric general odds ratio model for the analysis of right-censored survival data. The proposed model incorporates the short-term and long-term covariate effects on the failure time data, and includes the proportional odds model as a special case. We derive efficient likelihood-based inference procedures and establish the large sample properties of the proposed nonparametric maximum likelihood estimators. Extensive simulation studies demonstrate the proposed methods perform well in practical settings. An application to a breast cancer study is provided.

Secondly, we study the generalized linear models with an unknown link function for both data with independent observations and longitudinal data. We propose sieve maximum likelihood estimation procedures for both fixed effects models and random effects models by using B-splines. We establish the consistency and asymptotic normality of the proposed sieve maximum likelihood estimators. Extensive simulation studies along with an application to an epileptic study are provided to evaluate the finite-sample performance of the proposed methods.

A copy of this doctoral dissertation will be on reserve at the Johnson Center Library.